Thread: Thomas Smith

BeverleyLouise

Default Thomas Smith

Our Thomas SMITH was married 1799 in Cheshire but was of the Worcestershire military. I believe he married Sarah WITTER and they emigrated to USA & later Ontario, Canada about 1820. I found a listing for a Thomas SMITH in the Worcestershire Regiment papers who was decommissioned about 1808. All of the children are listed as born in Tenbury, Worcester or thereabouts but the origin of that data has been elusive (one cousin sent to another cousin who sent etc. ) and I've tried IGI & parish records. Does anyone have a suggestion short of a trip over to look for myself? (not in the cards as we build our new house in Alberta, Canada)
    Better still, the ideal scene would be to find another researcher looking for this family!
    Thanks for any help I can get,
    Bev

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by BeverleyLouise View Post
    Our Thomas SMITH was married 1799 in Cheshire but was of the Worcestershire military. I believe he married Sarah WITTER
    Hi again Bev,

This marriage is on Family Search as having taken place on 15th April 1799 at St Oswald's Church, Chester. You should be able to bring up a copy of the register at a Family History centre, Film Number: 2068355. It would be worth taking a look as there may be further clues in the names of the witnesses. Click here to see what sort of information you could find.

BeverleyLouise

Hi, Thanks for the advice. Actually I did look at that film and from it am looking for further proof that these: Thomas and Sarah, are the ones I seek. Actually it is the children of this couple and their birth dates I wish to confirm, not knowing where the family member who started the family genealogy got them. (All this was found before the internet, so suppose that either she had an old Bible or made a trip and looked at the records herself). I'll get back with the dates I spoke of, and maybe there is a researcher available to look at the original church records. IGI doesn't bring them up. Thanks again, Bev

zanytranscriber

Default Thomas Smith

Hi there. My name is Sandi Smith and my husband is a however many greats grandson of Thomas Smith, born 17 August 1777 who married Sarah Witter in 1799. I know that they immigrated to the United States and then to Canada, but have not been able to find any info on this.

I hope I put this post in the right spot. I really haven't done very many of these forums. Feel free to respond and if I have info, I will certainly share it.

Thanks again.