Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JohnG_Swansea

Default Fynone Street, Swansea in 1881

Hello All,

I have come across a potential relative living in Fynone Street, Swansea, at the time of the 1881 census.
    see RG11/ 5363 Page 4 (of 33) [Swansea, District 36]

I have no problem with Fynone Road, (Uplands) but I'm struggling to find Fynone Street & Fynone Terrace.

I shall (eventually) make my way to County Hall/ Civic Centre, in the hope of looking at the archived OS maps that I understand are held in the reference section of the library .. .. .. However, I wonder if any readers have been down this path before me and already know where Fynone Street was in 1881.

Regards, JohnG,
    Swansea, south west Wales.

Reputation beyond repute

The 1881 census explicitly states that Fynone Terrace was part of Fynone Street.

In the view of the proximity to Hanover Street, I'd say Fynone Street = Ffynone Road.

Have you tried walking the census route?

Any named pubs in the street?

Jan1954

Hello John,

At the beginning of the district, there should be a description of the route, which hopefully the enumerator stuck to. That should give you some clues for the surrounding roads and therefore help you to identify if the streets that you are looking for are now known by different names.

JohnG_Swansea

Default Fynone Street, Swansea in 1881

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello John,

At the beginning of the district, there should be a description of the route, which hopefully the enumerator stuck to. That should give you some clues for the surrounding roads and therefore help you to identify if the streets that you are looking for are now known by different names.
    Thank you for that. I was aware that there is (or should be) some form of leading summary sheet as page 1 of each bundle, but on the rare occasions when I have looked for that sheet I have not had much success with what I have found, I'll go back and revisit this bundle and see what I make of page 1. It may even restore my faith in the purpose of the summary! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The 1881 census explicitly states that Fynone Terrace was part of Fynone Street. .
    Thank you Peter. Is/ should that be found in the leading summary page?

Have you tried walking the census route?
    No, not yet, but I might be able to do so in the next few weeks, one saving grace is that there is slightly less yellow paint in that area of the city!

Any named pubs in the street?
    Not that I'm aware of, and knowing the area slightly, I would be surprised if there was.

Thank you both, JohnG,
    Swansea, south west Wales.

Reputation beyond repute

Thank you Peter. Is/ should that be found in the leading summary page?
    It's in the body of the enumeration book in the address column. For example it specifies that 37 Fynone Street = 4 Fynone Terrace. Not all returns are so helpful!

On Ancestry, you can get to the description page from any page showing an image of the enumeration book. Look for something like "Glamorgan > Swansea > District 36 >...". Click on the District and then select "View Description"

No, not yet, but I might be able to do so in the next few weeks,
    Ah. Sorry. I didn't mean literally walk along it, just "walk" with your fingers I mean follow the route from the enumeration book trying to marry it up with the best map you have available. A trade/city/street directory can be a useful aid. This was why I asked about pubs, by the way.

Re Directories
    Swansea Directory (Purrier's) 1908/9
    Ffynone Street
    Calvert Ter to St George Street
    40 residents listed

FFynone Terrace
    see Ffynone Street

S George's street - a Wikipedia article re The Constitutional Hill tramway states " .... the lower terminus at St George Street which is now Hannover (sic) Street ...."

Using "streetview" you can see the "Calvert Terrace" street sign where it meets "Mansel Street" - although it appears as "Hanover Street" as you proceed along it on "streetwise". I think "Ffynone Street" may be the stretch of "Hanover Street" that currently runs from the junction of "Heathfield/Carlton Terrace/Calvert Terrace" to Constitution Hill.

My extract of an 1881 map of Swansea includes the junction of "Calvert Terrace" and "Mansel Street" but no further - most frustrating in this instance!

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG_Swansea View Post
    I'm struggling to find Fynone Street & Fynone Terrace.

I shall (eventually) make my way to County Hall/ Civic Centre, in the hope of looking at the archived OS maps
    Hi JohnG

You don't even need to get out of your chair to look at the old maps.

Just go to the Old Maps site, old-maps.co.uk (put www. in front).

Put in the coordinates 264810, 193133 and press 'Go'.

When the modern map has loaded, you can switch to an older map from the right-hand menu. The second one on the list is a small part of a very detailed 1880 town plan. Ffynnon Terrace is clearly marked.

Swansea Directory (Purrier's) 1908/9

St George (sic) Street
    from Ffynone Street to Hanover Street
    White Street here
    Crole Street here
    Burman Street here

Coromandel,
    I went originally to "old maps" but, for some strange reason, I only tried the detailed 1884 map - none of the others - very odd. Now revisited and glad to confirm my sweating over "Purrier's 1908/9" got a result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast