Devonmade

Default Thomas Stock - Royal Marine

Thomas Stock was a Royal Marine he married Elizabeth Trevethen in Plymouth in 1827.

By the 1851 census Elizabeth is listed as a widow and a pauper. His last child was born in 1845.

The only military reference I have found to a Thomas Stock is on Ancestry where a Thomas Stock received a medal whilst serving on HMS Druid but is it him? I have not found any other reference.

Any thoughts?

Sue

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Sue

The First China War, for which this Thomas Stock was awarded the medal whilst on Druid, fits the possible timeframe for your Thomas' service, also the fact that the medal roll shows him as a RM 1st Class would indicate a number of years service. All I can suggest is you visit the National Archives, Kew, and look at Druid's Ships Description Book (ADM 38/7993), this might provide some further clues. While there it would also be worth checking her Allotment Books in ADM 27, these record if men had made provision for some of their pay to be paid to their next of kin while they were at sea, and who that next of kin was. However, not every man made such provision.

Martin