Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I have similar.
    Marriage number 1 to Mr. A.
    Marriage number 2 to Mr. B, in a church stating she was a spinster.
    Marriage number 3 To Mr. B, in a registry office stating she was a widow. This followed shortly after the death of Mr. A.

Do you know when 'hubby's' wife died?
    Here is what I know:
    1] Hubby and wife[#1 had a son born 2 May 1926. Son was given a name and the attending physician [presumably based upon information from the father] indicate that the child was legitimate. This was in Montana.

2] 1930 census. Father living with his brother and sister in law in Montana. Son with married sister [of the father] and her family in Oregon. No trace of wife #1.

3] Church wedding to wife #2 in 1933.

4] Civil wedding to wife #2 in 1939

5] 1940 census Father and wife #2 have son from 1st wife, 2 children by 2nd wife and living in Oregon.

Could wife #1 have found out about his duplicity [1933 marriage], shopped him for bigamy, he was convicted and she was granted a divorce and then in 1939 he legally married?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Well, it looks like all the information in post #11 is accurate and he married wife #1 on 15 June 1925.

So we know where and when he tied the knots, but not what happened in between those dates.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post

Do you know when 'hubby's' wife died?
    For the past few months, I've been looking for ideas about what happened to wife #1. I have found no trace of a death or a remarriage.

I recall from our visit to the family in 1967 being told that in the late 1930's 'daddy' [as he was referred to spent time in Jail while the family lived in Washington state. Daddy claimed that it was for the importing [from Canada] and sale of liquor in an establishment that operated. He also claimed that the injury to his leg [he walked with canes when we were there] was as a result of an incedent during his arrest that was never properly treated. It sounded plausible and was confirmed by his wife.

My mum had kept up communication with the family and in the fall of 1973, she received a photograph of the entire family - husband and wife, along with their 6 kids and spouses - at a celebration for the parents 40th wedding anniversary. The back of the photo had a note - taken 27 July 1973 - which coincides with the 1st certificate I had. So the kids presumably didn't know about the later event.

After the birth of their 2nd child - 12 Februay 1936 in Oregon - there are no births until child #3 arrived in 1940, also in Oregon.

I am thinking that wife #1 shopped him for Bigamy and that he was tried convicted and sentenced [possibly in Washington state where the marriage took place]. After his release, I think he got a "a quickie' divorce and then remarried 24 November 1939 in the exact same place that they had married 6 years earlier. Then to all intents and purposes, the family thought the earlier one - in a Church and performed by a Minister - was their 'official' date of marriage.

Do folks disagree?

Colin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12