Devonmade

Default Reen - Mevagissey Area

Tabitha Reen (nee Melhuish, bap 1765) - could not be found in the censuses so we thought she must have died, re-married or emigrated, but she has been discovered in the 1841 Census. It's a poor image, , she's there with a rounded down age of 75, a widow (crossed out), living in Lelean's Court, Mevagissey. The writing's so obscure she'd been mis-transcribed! She's next door to her daughter Isabella (now Johns) & her family.

Living with her is a Tabitha George (6th up from bottom), rounded down age 50, widow (crossed out). It took a long time to realise it said 'George' as it mis-transcribed as 'Ewer' etc.
    So it appears this is her daughter, Tabitha Melhuish Reen, bap 1788, who had married John Witford (in 1804). She has presumably since married a ???? George & been widowed.

In 1851 Tabitha George has been found living with her Aunt Ann Strick/Strike (who may have been either Ann nee Reen or Ann nee Melhuish b 1770). Whilst living in Mylor with her Aunt she appears to have met Nicholas Goodfellow and married him 1852 Q3 in Falmouth reg district & died prob 1872 Q2, Falmouth.

Can we find Tabitha Reen's (b 1765) death anywhere - No
    Can we find/prove John Witford's death - No,
    Can we find Tabitha Witford/Withford/Whithford marrying a ??? George - No

Despite much searching we have drawn a lot of blanks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

the marriage to Nicholas Goodfellow was 30 Aug 1852 at Mylor. both parties were widowed and the bride's father's name is shown as William Rees ( could easily be a mistranscription of Reen) on Cornwall opc database.

Devonmade

Thank you for that clarification. It is disappointing that we can find no trace of the answers to the questions we have. But we will keep searching.

Sue

Nankervis

There was a John Whitford burial at Mevagissey 8.10.1835.
    John was 54.

Devonmade

That is a possibility I will keep it in mind. Have you a way to find if John witford and Tabitha Reen had more than one child? They were married in 1804, I've only got one son John b1805.

Sue

Nankervis

I've looked at the Mevagissey baptisms and I can only see John who was baptised 30.6.1805.
    I've also checked for Whitford and there is nothing there for any children of John and Tabitha.

Devonmade

Thank you for looking, strange isn't it. I think we will never know the answers.

Sue