Libby Weiss

Default Mary Ann Matthews & William Henry Matthews

Mary born 1845 Poplar Middlesex and brother William Henry Matthews B 1851 baptised Poplar Middlesex.
    William came to Ararat in Victoria, Australia and married Amy Victoria Hadland. I am looking for any research for both. I do not know what happened to Mary Ann. Wondering if anyone is also researching this family. Yours Elisabeth

janbooth

Hi Elisabeth,

It looks as if Mary Ann may have married a Charles CHALLONER. Ancestry London Parish Registers shows this marriage st St James the Great Bethnal Green:

12 May 1866 Charles CHALONER, full age, bachelor, Painter, Bethnal Green, father Thomas CHALONER, Gas Fitter & Mary Ann MATTHEWS, full age, spinster, Bethnal Green, father William MATTHEWS, deceased.

1871 census of Hackney St John (RG10/321, folio 105, page 31) shows:

8 Heanor Cott, Needham Terr

Charles CHALLONER Head Mar 27 Gas Fitter Middlesex Hackney
    Mary A do Wife Mar 25 do Poplar
    Florence E do Daur 3 do Hackney
    Charles H do Son 10 months do do
    Mary A MATTHEWS Mother in law Widow 62 Laundress Surrey Guilford

In the 1881 census Charles & Mary Ann are in Walthamstow living at 36 Beaconsfield Road (RG11/1730, folio 156, page 94) with children Florence & Charles and mother in law Mary Ann MATTHEWS.

1891 census (RG12/1353, folio 84, page 17) Charles (now described as a Painter), Mary Ann and Charles Hy are still in Walthamstow living at 25 Cambridge Road.

1901 census (RG13/230, folio 48, page 21) Charles and Mary Ann are living 21 Arthur Street, Hackney and shown as in the same house but a separate household is son Charles, wife Ellen and children Charles and Henry.

1911 census of Hackney is a bit confusing as it shows Charles CHALONER, aged 19, single, brother Frederick, aged 14, living with mother Mary A CHALONER, widow, at 21 Arthur Street but I am assuming she should be shown as their Grandmother.

There is a death registration of a Mary A CHALONER in the June qtr 1924 at West Ham reg district, aged 78, which could be relevant.

Hope this helps

Janet

Census records courtesy TNA
    Last edited by janbooth; 02-07-2012 at 9:35 AM. Reason: Mis-typing

Libby Weiss

Hi Janet,
    Thank you ever so much for all the above information which is all sooooooooo good. I only had info re their births which a lady at the LDS had found for me. It is so good to be able to follow up the family Matthews as I cannot find anyone else who is interested. I am amazed at the help I have received from people in UK offering to help with the Woodbridges and Hadlands and now you have so kindly looked at the Matthews for me.

With sincere appreciation,
    Yours respectfully Elisabeth

janbooth

Glad to be of help. In case you do not already have census information for William snr and wife Mary Ann, here is the 1851 census record for the family:

HO107/1556, folio 165, page 3
    4 Bisterne Place

William MATTHEWS Head Mar 39 Omnibus Conductor Middlesex Edmonton
    M A do Wife Mar 41 Surrey Guildford
    M A do Daur 5 Scholar Middlesex Poplar
    William H do Son 3 do do do

Janet

janbooth

William Henry's birth would seem to have been registered in the December qtr 1850 at Poplar reg district, vol 2, page 362. You can purchase this online and it will give you his mother Mary Ann's maiden name, if you do not already have this information. Finding William & Mary Ann's marriage, without her maiden name to help, is proving a bit more difficult!

There is a burial on 25 January 1861 at Poplar, Tower Hamlets of a William MATTHEWS, aged 48, which would fit in quite well with your William snr. By the 1861 census (RG9/157, folio 91, page 30) Mary Ann MATHEWS is described as a 51 year old widowed Charwoman, born Guildford, living at 2 Needham Terrace, Hackney with son William Henry.

Janet

janbooth

Default William MATTHEWS

A bit more information for you, Elisabeth, from Ancestry's London Parish Registers, which fits in very well as regards both date and place:

Born October 27, baptised November 15 1812 at All Saints Edmonton William MATTHEWS son of William & Maria White his wife, Coachman

Several siblings all baptised at Edmonton:

Elizabeth 11 May 1817, Church Street, Coachman
    Caroline 26 May 1822, Church Street, Coachman
    George 31 October 1824, Church Street, Coachman
    James 3 December 1826, Church Street, Coach Master

Looks like the occupation could run in the family, doesn't it!

Janet

Libby Weiss

Dear Janet,
    Thank you very much for the lastest information re the Matthews which I can now add to my records. I am not sure if I should be able to access the Census Records like you do???? But was wondering if there was any way we could find outwhat happened to Florence Challoner the daughter to Charles and Mary A. [Matthews] on 1871 Census. Do hope I am not over stepping my markin asking you this.
    I am still working out the new program British Genealogy which has been the very best in helping me.

Yours Respectfully Elisabeth

A good wet day hobby as we have been housebound now for a few days and watching Wimbledon late at night.

janbooth

The weather here is awful too, so as you say, a good incentive to settle down and become absorbed in family history!

The 1881 census records are free to view through various sites such as Family Search, Ancestry & Findmypast, but to view other census records you need a subscription to either Ancestry or Findmypast.

More info from Ancestry's London Parish Registers:

Florence Emily Maria & Charles Henry CHALLONER were baptised on the same day, 14 February 1872 (Ash Wednesday according to the register!), at Haggerston St Augustine, father Charles being shown as a Painter of 8 Alma Cottages, Clapton.

Charles Henry jnr's marriage record gives us a clue as to what happened to Florence. He married Ellen Frances MESSENT on 7 January 1892 at St James the Great Bethnal Green. They were both single, both aged 21 and both living at 77 White Street. He is shown as a Farrier and father Charles Henry as a Painter. Ellen's father is shown as Joseph MESSENT, a Porter. The witnesses were Charles CHALONER and Florence WALLAIS. There is a marriage registration in the December qtr 1886 at West Ham reg district of a William Albert WALLIS and one of the other names is that of a Florence Emily CHALONER.

1891 census of Walthamstow (RG12/1353, folio 79, page 8)
    7 Colchester Street

William WALLACE Head Mar 23 Bricklayer Sussex Dale Hill
    Flora do Wife Mar 23 London Homerton
    Louisa do Daur 4 Essex Walthamstow

1901 census of Walthamstow (RG13/1623, folio 18, page 27)
    45 Gladstone Road

Wm Albert WALLIS Head Mar 33 Bricklayer Sussex Wadhurst
    Florence E do Wife Mar 33 London Hackney
    Louisa do Daur S 14 do Walthamstow
    Wm Albert H do Son 2 do do
    William JERMAN Boarder S 59 Labourer Excavator Cambs Cambridge

1911 census of Walthamstow
    6 Gosport Road

William Albert WALLIS Head 43 Married Bricklayer Sussex Wadhurst
    Florey do Wife 43 Essex Walthamstow
    William Albert Henry 11 School do do
    Charles Henry WALLIS 9 School do do

William and Florence are shown as having 10 children, 3 of whom are still living.

Hope this helps further

Janet

Libby Weiss

Thank you Jan ever soooo much for all the time and effort you have given to me. It looks like I may have to spend quite a considerable amount of time in England following the trail. For some silly reason of "HOPE" maybe I will find some living relatives.
    I find the geography all so interesting as I love navigation etc. and it gives one a real reason to visit various places and history is so much more meaningful. Thank you for the info with the research engines as I as yet do not subscribe to any yet. I am so glad to have a British Heritage!!!! I think Mary Ann matthews maiden name was "Plant".

Yours with much appreciation,
    Respectfully Elisabeth.