Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default Bogus Security Center Alert pop-up

Started this morning

I am getting this large pop-up window every 2 minutes that is hard to remove from the screen. Seems to have a timer and eventually disappears

named " Security Center " , Looks like the genuine Windows Security Center program

Totally stops you from moving away from it.

Also has 2 small pop-up windows with a warning that asks you if you want to Carry On Unprotected.

Has anyone seen this and how do I get rid of it.

Thanks

bamagirl

Hi, Rove.

If you have a windoze pc and can get to the system restore option from the programs menu, you might be able to go to a previous date and then run an anti-virus scan. If not you may be looking at a more painful and drawn out process. You might want to disable your internet connection while you do this so the virus cannot phone home and cause mischief while you are cleaning up.

Good luck,
    Barb

MarkJ

Which version of Windows, Rove?

If it is XP, then do the following -

Restart your PC - hold (or press repeatedly quickly) F8 to get the Advanced Boot Options.
    There, select Safe Mode with Networking. Press Enter and let the machine boot into Safe Mode. It looks rubbish because most of the drivers are disabled.
    Now, run your Anti Virus program (or better still, download Malwarebytes Anti Malware program and install that then run it). You should detect a malware program - there are a few which do this type of "warning" pop up.
    In Safe Mode, you have a much better chance of removing the junk.

I would recommend the Malwarebytes program as being very effective at this type of thing - much better than the usual AV programs.

Mark