Thread: James Williams

siamesewillow

Default James Williams

My Great Grandfather x 3 James Williams born 1767 (c) Olveston Gloucestershire, married Mary Thomas in 1767 St Michael, Bristol.

I really would like to confirm this as several trees on ancestry have different information on their trees, I have e-mailed them with no reply so far.

I found the marriage record on familysearch, Batch no V00035-5. I have also visited the Bristol Record Office and with so many James and Mary's I did not get very far.

These trees have James Williams married to Mary Thomas but totally different children, the children I have are

James born 1801 Olveston
    George born 1802
    Joseph born 1806
    Mary born 1808
    John born 1816

I do have the death certficate for George Williams he died in 1856 age 84, a widower, his wife Mary died in 1829.

Any help would be appreciated.

pippycat

James Williams c1767 marries Mary Thomas in Bristol the same year he was born??

IF the marriage date happend to be correct, it would mean they were wed 34 years before birth of son James in 1801
    - something wrong there!

I presume that the children you list are your family if you have death cert for George?

Other than info from 'family trees', what do you know about your James and his family?

Sorry about all the questions, but its not quite adding up so far.

Rebecca

janbooth

Just to clarify matters, Family Search has the marriage of James WILLIAMS & Mary THOMAS at St Michael's Bristol on 9 December 1797.

The 1841 census of Olveston (HO107/361/12, folio 41, page 7) shows a James WILLIAMS, aged 70 and his (son?) James, aged 35 living at Tockington, both being shown as Farmers and born in the county. By the 1851 census of Tockington, Olveston, James jnr is shown as married to a Mary with 5 children and James snr is living with them and shown as aged 79 and a retired Farmer born Olveston - is this your family?

If this is your family, it might be worthwhile taking a look at The National Archives Documents Online website which has 4 wills for various Williams's of Olveston between 1800-1858, all of whom are shown as Yeomen, as they might shed some light on a relationship with your James. These can be downloaded online at a cost of £3.50 for each will.

How can you be sure that the death certificate of George WILLIAMS is directly connected to your WILLIAMS family if he was aged 84 when he died in 1856 as this would make him born c1782?

There is a George WILLIAMS, aged 45, Butcher, born Olveston, in the 1851 census of Olveston together with wife Amelia and 5 children who would fit in with the George baptised 1806 in Olveston and a Joseph WILLIAMS, aged 49, born Olveston,a Farmer, living in Lechfa Monmouthshire who is unmarried.

The Bristol & Avon FHS have produced various parish register transcription cds for the parish of Olveston, so again it might be worth looking at their website for those that are relevant to you.

Janet

siamesewillow

Sorry about the mistake about the year of birth, James was born in 1772 and married in 1796.

siamese

siamesewillow

Another mistake I made, the death certificate was for James Williams not George Williams.

siamese