RobinC

Default Kids today are spoilt compared to this menu!

The Bill of Fare for a Week at Greenwich Workhouse

Breakfast. Dinner. Supper.
    Sunday
    Bread and Cheese, Beef and Broth, Bread and Cheese

Monday
    Beef Broth, Hasty Pudding, The same

Tuesday
    Milk Porridge, Plumb Pudding, The same

Wednesday
    Milk Porridge, Beef and Broth, The same

Thursday
    Beef Broth, Rice Milk, The same

Friday
    Milk Porridge, Beef and Broth, The same

Saturday
    Beef Broth, Hasty Pudding, The same

Famous for offering help & advice

Today that would be "child abuse"!

My grandmother's mother died and left my grandmother and 2 siblings with their father. Sometimes he would send them to stay with his mother who lived in Godmanchester, Huntingdonshire. She had raised a huge brood of her own and firmly believed the men should be well fed as they were working and the kids got whatever was left. My grandmother told the story of the men in the house getting the meat and potatoes, while she and the other children that were there got some sort of treacle pudding made with molasses and that was all.......

Sue

Loves to help with queries

perhaps a few days on this menu would make my Kids appreciate how much time goes into the thinking of menus, the buying of all the food & finally the preparation & cooking.. puts me of eating.
    Alison

DorothySandra

If they got a decent serving of all these - especially the Beef and Broth, and the Milk Porridge - they would have been better fed than many other children.

When you think of how many people died of tb (commonly caused by malnutrition, even amongst the well-to-do) this diet doesn't seem so surprising! I wonder what was in the Hasty Pudding?

These days, it's people in care homes who have the inadequate diet - some of them sound a bit like the old workhouses.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by DorothySandra View Post

If they got a decent serving of all these - especially the Beef and Broth, and the Milk Porridge - they would have been better fed than many other children.

These days, it's people in care homes who have the inadequate diet - some of them sound a bit like the old workhouses.
    I agree with the above, particularly older folks in so-called 'care homes'. It is a crying shame that operators of such facilities are not charged with ELDER ABUSE and brought to justice. Then with the media coverage a lot more facts about these places [including the cost to Governments and the family involved].

Colin

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by DorothySandra View Post
    I wonder what was in the Hasty Pudding?
    According to Wikipedia:

Since the 16th century at least, hasty pudding has been a British dish of wheat flour cooked in either boiling milk or water until it reaches the consistency of a thick batter or an oatmeal porridge

lindt

My children would faint at the prospect of such a poor diet, though it would probably do them good for a while!

Re; care homes, they are not all bad. My mother is a resident in a home of mostly dementia patients and the food is great. I have eaten there at very short notice on several occasions.. The food they lay on for parties (xmas, jubilee etc) is excellent.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Would help solve the child obesity problem though