Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BANISTER

Brick wall demolition expert!

Just to go back to the number of children for the moment, it looks as if these children died...

DEATH Mar 1874 2B 5
    BANISTER, Caroline

DEATH Jun 1875 Rye 2B 1
    BANISTER, Frederick Charles

DEATH Mar 1878 Rye 2B 4
    BANISTER, Kate

DEATH Mar 1881 Rye 2B 3
    BANISTER, Arthur

DEATH Dec 1883 Rye 2B 1
    BANISTER, Agnes
    Age 12

DEATH Mar 1884 Rye 2B 1
    Name: BANISTER, Albert

DEATH Dec 1885 Rye 2B 2
    Name: BANISTER, Alfred

NOTE: to search for BMDs, see www.
    freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So out of all the children I could find....

1. Mary Jane born abt 1869
    2. David Russel bap. 07 Aug 1870. Birth date 17 Jul 1870
    3. Agnes bap 05 Nov 1871. Birth date 11 Sep 1871
    4. Caroline bap. 26 Oct 1873. Birth date 23 Jul 1873
    5. Frederick Charles bap. 22 Mar 1875
    6. Kate bap. 18 Aug 1876. Birth date 02 May 1876
    7. Ernest bap. 29 Mar 1878. Birth date 14 Dec 1877
    8. Amos bap. 05 Oct 1879. Birth date 03 Aug 1879
    9. Arthur bap. 05 Dec 1880. Birth date 16 Aug 1880
    10. Thomas Hilder bap. 04 Jun 1882. Birth date 13 Mar 1882
    11. Albert bap. 05 Aug 1883. Birth date 10 Jul 1883
    12. Alfred bap.07 Sep 1884. Birth date 06 Aug 1884
    13. Montagu Gordon bap. 07 Feb 1886. Birth date 01 Dec 1885
    14. Nelson Bannister baptised on 12 Apr 1890 at Rye, Sussex. Birth date 1890.

....the remaining 7 from the list above (in bold) can be found in the 1911 census. Since Caroline says she had 18 children in total with 7 still living in 1911, this leaves 4 more children to find who must have died. There are some other children in the index who died young but we can't tell purely from the index whose chidren they were. Also, if any were stillborn, they would not have been registered as this did not happen prior to 1927; they also would not have been baptised.

Ron B

Jan, or do I address you as olliecat?, Thankyou so much. I just read my grandfather's attestation papers and found it to be a very emotional experience. He was my best friend when I was five years old. He died when I was six. Thanks for all of your help. You and Malcolm have been terrific.
    Ron B
    Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Just checking that you have your grandfather's CEF attestation papers. Just spotted them on the Library and Archives Canada site here.

To pick out some information -- > Mentions that he was born in Rye, date of birth 16 March 1890. Age 26 when he attested. Next of kin, mother Caroline Banister. Occupation bootmaker. He served previously for 4 years in the 5th Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment.

Ron B

Malcolm,
    Thanks for all of your work. You and Jan have really got me going on this.
    Regards,
    Ron B

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
    Malcolm,
    Thanks for all of your work. You and Jan have really got me going on this.
    Regards,
    Ron B
    Hi Ron - actually, it was the three of us: Malcolm, me - and Olliecat!

So pleased that we could help.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
    I just read my grandfather's attestation papers and found it to be a very emotional experience. He was my best friend when I was five years old. He died when I was six.
    Hi Ron

Just in case you are not aware, although attestation papers are online as you have seen, full service records are not. Your grandfather's full service papers should give you a more detailed and personal history of his service, including what units he served with, medical history and more.

Full service records can be ordered for a fee from the National Archives of Canada, see here.

Ron B

Malcolm,
    I had the distinct pleasure of spending a day in Rye last summer. I have to agree with your assessment. I'm hoping to return in a year or two armed with some knowledge about my family. Thanks to the three of you I'm already looking into my great grandfather's origins.
    Regards,
    Ron B
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Not for now I suspect but just in case deeper background is ever required there is a book on the 5th Battalion>

Fazan, E. A. C.: The Story of the 5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. Published by The Royal Sussex Regimental Association, 1971. Out of print.
    Source: https://www.royalsussex.
    org.uk/RSLHG_main_index.html

Ron - I don't know how much you know about Rye & the Cinque Ports, but at some point it would be worth reading up about them. By the way, Rye (if you don't already know), is one of the most beautiful towns in England (dare I say the UK?, dare I say Europe?).

DianaCanada

The passenger lists on Ancestry show three Bannisters arriving in Halifax NS in 1913; Nelson, Ernest, and Edward. Nelson is 23, so fits for your grandfather. It lists him as a "boot op", going to Elkhorn, Manitoba. The other two were heading to Montreal. Nelson was going to be a farm labourer in MB.
    My mother came from Sussex, as well, Heathfield. She was a war bride - and my father came here as a child from Lancs. So cool to see their names on the passenger lists!

Ron B

Default BANISTER

Diana,
    Thank-you so much for the information. The Nelson listed was most certainly my grandfather as Elkhorn is my home town. I was unaware of Ernest and Edward coming to Canada. One was likely and older brother but I don`t know who the other was. Do you by any chance have the name of the ship and the date of the sailing?
    Regards,
    Ron B
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    The passenger lists on Ancestry show three Bannisters arriving in Halifax NS in 1913; Nelson, Ernest, and Edward. Nelson is 23, so fits for your grandfather. It lists him as a "boot op", going to Elkhorn, Manitoba. The other two were heading to Montreal. Nelson was going to be a farm labourer in MB.
    My mother came from Sussex, as well, Heathfield. She was a war bride - and my father came here as a child from Lancs. So cool to see their names on the passenger lists!

DianaCanada

Hi - the date was March 1913, and the ship was the Hesperian. The other two Bannisters were going to a brother (destination Montreal). They are both listed as plasterers. All are listed as Roman Catholic.
    In 1909 a Mrs. Nelson Bannister is listed going to Oak (or Oat?) Lake, Manitoba, she seems to be with a couple called Andrews. She is listed as Church of England and a "returning" tourist. They had sailed from Liverpool. Do you want more of the details on this listing?

Ron B

Diana,
    Thank-you for your continuing help. Mrs Nelson Banister was my grandmother who raised me. Yes please, if you have more information on the listing I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Ron B.
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    Hi - the date was March 1913, and the ship was the Hesperian. The other two Bannisters were going to a brother (destination Montreal). They are both listed as plasterers. All are listed as Roman Catholic.
    In 1909 a Mrs. Nelson Bannister is listed going to Oak (or Oat?) Lake, Manitoba, she seems to be with a couple called Andrews. She is listed as Church of England and a "returning" tourist. They had sailed from Liverpool. Do you want more of the details on this listing?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast