Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BANISTER

Jan1954

There is a marriage of Russell H BANISTER and on the same page is Caroline VELRICH or VELVICK. It may be that when the register was compiled, whoever was doing it could not be certain of the spelling of the surname and so it was entered with both of these spellings.

I would order the marriage certificate (as explained in post #7 above) and omit Caroline's name entirely. Just use Russell's - exactly as I have noted in this post. The reference is:
    June quarter 1866, Rye registration district, volume 2b, page 10

Edit: I see that Malcolm has snuck in before me!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    There is a marriage of Russell H BANISTER and on the same page is Caroline VELRICH or VELVICK. I
    The transcription from Family Search has neither of these, it has Kelvick for Caroline's surname ...

groom's name: Russell Hilder Banister
    groom's birth date: 1842
    groom's age: 24
    bride's name: Caroline Kelvick
    bride's birth date: 1846
    bride's age: 20
    marriage date: 06 May 1866
    marriage place: Rye, Sussex, England
    groom's father's name: Edward Banister
    bride's father's name: James Kelvick

BTW: When ordering the marriage certificate, just do as Jan says above and ignore Caroline's name entirely.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    The remarkably fecund Caroline Velvick was born in Tenterden Registration District in March Quarter 1847 and married Russell H Banister in Rye RD in June Quarter 1866.
    She was baptised on 31st January 1847 at St Mildred's Church, Tenterden to parents James (a Labourer) and Mary Ann. This is from the Parish Records.

James VELVICK and Mary Ann (BROWN) married at St Mildred's on 10th October 1846, (both of the Parish) so they were cutting it fine with Caroline, who was the eldest. Let me know if you would like the details of her siblings' baptisms.

malcolm99

And here she is in the 1851 Census:

Census Ref: HO107 Piece 1620 fol. 269 p. 10
    Address: Smallhithe, Tenterden, Kent

George VELVICK, Head, married, age 56, Thatcher, born Tenterden, Kent
    Elizabeth VELVICK, Wife, married, age 62, Thatcher’s Wife, born Wittersham, Kent
    Mary VELVICK, Daughter, unmarried, age 34, Thatcher’s Daughter, born Tenterden, Kent
    Caroline VELVICK, Daughter, unmarried, age 21, Dress Maker, born Tenterden, Kent
    Caroline VELVICK, Grand Daughter, age 4, visitor (Ag Lab’s Daughter), born Tenterden, Kent

In the 1861 Census Caroline is working as a 14 year old Domestic Servant in the house of the National School schoolmaster in Tenterden. Census Ref: RG9 Piece 510 fol. 39 p. 20

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    In the 1861 Census Caroline is working as a 14 year old Domestic Servant in the house of the National School schoolmaster in Tenterden. Census Ref: RG9 Piece 510 fol. 39 p. 20
    In that same census my great, great grandfather lived at the Blacksmith Shop, High Street, Tenderden, aged 13, and was a scholar at the National School. They may even have known each other. Small world...

malcolm99

Sh

James VELVICK and Mary Ann (BROWN) married at St Mildred's on 10th October 1846, (both of the Parish)
    Caroline's parents in the 1851 Census are here:

Address: Bells Lane, Tenterden
    Census Ref: HO107 Piece 1620 fol. 221 p. 9 & HO107 Piece 1620 fol. 222 p. 10

James VELVICK, Head, married, age 26, Labourer, born Tenterden, Kent
    Mary Ann VELVICK, wife, married, age 25, Labourer’s Wife, born Tenterden, Kent
    James ELVICK, son, age 2, at home, born Tenterden, Kent
    George VELVICK, son, age 2 months, at home, born Tenterden, Kent
    Elizabeth BRANN, visitor, unmarried, age 15, Dress Maker, born Wittersham, Kent

It’s quite possible that Elizabeth Brann is a relation as she comes from Wittersham as do other females in later censuses & it's quite probable Caroline was staying with her grand parents because of the new baby in the house.
    Last edited by malcolm99; 31-05-2012 at 7:58 PM. Reason: excised suggestion that Brann could be Brown

malcolm99

In that same census my great, great grandfather lived at the Blacksmith Shop, High Street, Tenderden, aged 13, and was a scholar at the National School. They may even have known each other. Small world...
    Isn't it just....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
    My grandfather, Nelson Banister emigrated to Canada in the early 1900`s.
    Just checking that you have your grandfather's CEF attestation papers. Just spotted them on the Library and Archives Canada site here.

To pick out some information -- > Mentions that he was born in Rye, date of birth 16 March 1890. Age 26 when he attested. Next of kin, mother Caroline Banister. Occupation bootmaker. He served previously for 4 years in the 5th Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    He served previously for 4 years in the 5th Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment.
    Not for now I suspect but just in case deeper background is ever required there is a book on the 5th Battalion>

Fazan, E. A. C.: The Story of the 5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. Published by The Royal Sussex Regimental Association, 1971. Out of print.
    Source: https://www.royalsussex.
    org.uk/RSLHG_main_index.html

Ron - I don't know how much you know about Rye & the Cinque Ports, but at some point it would be worth reading up about them. By the way, Rye (if you don't already know), is one of the most beautiful towns in England (dare I say the UK?, dare I say Europe?).

Nelson's father died in 1907. There is an entry for him in the National Probate Calendar

BANISTER Russell Hilder of Seymour-place Rye Sussex died 20 December 1907 Administration London 20 February to Caroline Banister widow. Effects £191 7s.

This means he died without leaving a will and administration of his estate was granted to Caroline.

Ron, if you want to know how much £191 7s was worth in 1907, go and have a play with this currency convertor from the National Archives.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast