Starting to feel at home

Default James Towells, born Bridgwater 1801

Hi,
    Can anyone throw any light on this conundrum , please. I'm sorry it will take a while to explain
    James Towells was born Bridgwater, c1801. This is consistent across the 1841 - 1871 censuses. In 1841 he is in Hampshire. His wife is Mary. The children are Francis 15, George 11, John 6, Mary 1. They were all born Hampshire except James & they are living in Fareham, Hampshire. My problem is the from 1861 there is a Francis Towell in Fareham and the IGI records give children with these exact names and dates all for a Francis and Mary in Fareham, not for James and Mary. After a lot of searching I was able to convince myself that James and Francis are not the same guy as in 1871 James is in Bristol & Francis still in Fareham. The 2 men were born in 1801, both were tinmen,both lived in fareham & seem to have children with the same name. I would really appreciate any help with sorting out these 2 families. A Mary Towells died in 1846 in Bristol. In 1851, to make things really interesting James born Bridgwater c1800/01 is with Sarah 16, Emma 14 & Elizabeth 6 - all 3 girls born Bristol. They are living in Latchmore, Hampshire. So are there 2 James Towells born Bridgwater c1801? I am descended from the Elizabeth b in 1844 in Bristol. I have her birth certificate so I know that that bit at least is accurate. In 1861 James is back in Bristol and a hawker. In 1871 he is in Bristol living with married Elizabeth, now Saunders.
    In 1851, the only George Towell b 1830,Fareham I can find is a servant in Basingstoke. I can't see francis in 1851 but the only Francis Towell right age in 1861 is in the Royal Navy. There only seems to be one John Towell born Fareham and in 1881 he is with his family, including his dad called Francis!
    Help would be much appreciated.
    Ros

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Ros

Quote Originally Posted by RosNorris View Post
    H In 1851, to make things really interesting James born Bridgwater c1800/01 is with Sarah 16, Emma 14 & Elizabeth 6 - all 3 girls born Bristol. They are living in Latchmore, Hampshire. ... I am descended from the Elizabeth b in 1844 in Bristol.
    Just to start off, can you confirm if this is your Elizabeth and her family in the 1851 census?

1851: Piece: 1666; Folio: 257; Page: 5
    Satchmore, Hampshire
    TOWELLS, James 51, wid, general dealer, Bridgewater Somerset
    TOWELLS, Sarah 16, Bristol
    TOWELLS, Emma 14, Bristol
    TOWELLS, Elizabeth 6, Bristol
    ALLEN, James 31, visitor, Chard Somerset
    ALLEN, Emma 33, visitor, Bridgewater Somerset

James Towells was born Bridgwater, c1801. ...In 1841 he is in Hampshire. His wife is Mary. The children are Francis 15, George 11, John 6, Mary 1.
    I take it that this is the 1841 census ref: Piece: 389; Book: 6; Folio: 44; Page: 18

I do wonder about the family that you have found in the 1841 census as neither Sarah or Emma who are listed on the 1851 census are present on the 1841 census. After an initial inspection of the 1841 census, this family looks to me like a better match...

1841: Piece: 378 Book/Folio: 45 Page: 39
    King's Lane, St Philip & Jacob Without, Bristol, Gloucestershire
    TOWELL, James 40, messenger?
    TOWELL, Ann 35
    TOWELL, Sarah 6
    TOWELL, Emma 4
    All born Gloucestershire, apart from James

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi,
    My problem is the from 1861 there is a Francis Towell in Fareham and the IGI records give children with these exact names and dates all for a Francis and Mary in Fareham, not for James and Mary. After a lot of searching I was able to convince myself that James and Francis are not the same guy as in 1871
    I think you are right in that your James and the Francis (living in Fareham) are not the same person.
    However, I think your James was in Bristol in the 1841 census. Also, I suspect that the James in the 1841 census living in Farhem is he is actually Francis (with his name mistakenly recorded as James.)

Posting the census, so we can all see...

1841: Piece: 389 Book/Folio: 6/44 Page: 18
    High Street, Fareham
    TOWELL, James 40, tinman
    TOWELL, Mary 45
    TOWELL, Francis 15
    TOWELL, George 11
    TOWELL, John 6
    TOWELL, Mary 1
    MANSELL, Letitia 75
    All born in Hampshire apart from James

In the census, the name of the lady Letitia MANSELL is interesting. Could she be Mary's mother or another relative? On Family Search there is a marriage between Francis Towell and Mary Mansell on 04 Jul 1825 at St. Mary's Church, Portsea, Hampshire. (See Family Search)

On checking the 1851 census...

1851: Piece: 1661 Folio: 177 Page: 2
    West Street, Fareham
    TOWER, Frances, head, 50, tin plate worker, Honiton, Devonshire
    TOWER, Sarah, wife, 40, Portsea, Hampshire
    TOWER, John, son, 16, assistant, Fareham, Hampshire
    TOWER, Mary, dau, 10 , Fareham, Hampshire
    TOWER, Elizabeth, 2, Fareham, Hampshire

The two youngest childrens from the 1841 census match those on the 1851 census. In case you are puzzled by Sarah, there was a death for burial of a Mary Towell on 29 Apr 1845 at St. Peter And St. Paul, Fareham. This is from Family Search and an age isn't specified so can't be certain this is the correct Mary. However, there is also this marriage...

groom's name: Francis Towell
    bride's name: Sarah Candy
    marriage date: 10 Aug 1845
    marriage place: Fareham, Hampshire, England
    (Family Search)

Starting to feel at home

Hi, Olliecat
    Thank you so much for your efforts. Yes I have to agree with you. I think the James in Fareham in 1841 is syonymous with the Francis of later censuses, born Honiton. And I am now sure that my James was in Bristol after all in 1841 - it was wrongly transcribed as Tonell. There are so many variants of Towell/s. The 1851 entry for James at Satchmore is definitely mine and now I have been able to prove that the Emma Allen there with him is in fact his sister. So at last there has been some progress with this line - I just don't know why he ended up in Hampshire at all.
    Thankyou again
    Ros