Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default BARRATT Potteries

i am trying to find out information on the Barratt family from Newcastle under Lyme...Samuel, son of William, son of Thomas son of John who married Mary Jackson in 1766 in Norton in the Moors...they were all hatters or feltmakers and would love to find out more about their work life if any records exist or trace Johns birth and further back...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    i am trying to find out information on the Barratt family from Newcastle under Lyme...Samuel, son of William, son of Thomas son of John who married Mary Jackson in 1766 in Norton in the Moors...they were all hatters or feltmakers and would love to find out more about their work life if any records exist or trace Johns birth and further back...
    The heading on your post is Barratt Potteries but you are looking for information on Barratts who were hat makers or feltmakers. Are they related to William Barratt of Barratts of Staffordshire Ltd. Earthenware Manufacturers?

By the way, the entry for the marriage on Ancestry lists the spouse as Mary Bagley, not Jackson.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    The heading on your post is Barratt Potteries but you are looking for information on Barratts who were hat makers or feltmakers. Are they related to William Barratt of Barratts of Staffordshire Ltd. Earthenware Manufacturers?

By the way, the entry for the marriage on Ancestry lists the spouse as Mary Bagley, not Jackson.
    That should be Baggely not Bagley.

Copies of the Polls taken at Newcastle-under-Lyme to elect Parliamentary representatives

From Sat 8th - Tue 11th Oct 1774
    Barratt, Thomas Journeyman Hatter
    (The winner is not identified so cannot determine if one of his 2 votes was cast for the winner!)

From 5th Sep - 15th Sep, 1792
    Barratt, Samuel Feltmaker
    Barratt, Thomas, Masons Arms Overseer
    (Samuel cast his vote for the losing candidate)

From Tue 19th - Fri 22nd Feb 1793
    Barratt Thomas Masons Arms Overseer and Vict.
    Barratt Thomas, son of John Feltmaker
    ("Your" Thomas cast his vote for the winning candidate)

Thomas, Masons Arms included to alert you to 2 Thomas Barratts being around at the same time.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Groundhopper,

I've moved this thread to the Staffordshire forum, because the Surname Interests forum is purely for listing surname interests, and not for queries.

Like Sue, I was confused by the word Potteries, but now realise that you must mean 'The Potteries', i.e. the six towns now referred to as Stoke-on-Trent. If the family lived in N-u-L, then it would be better to include that in the heading, or at least say 'The Potteries'. Let me know which you prefer and I'll sprinkle my magic dust and amend it.

Regarding their work life, have you done an internet search for general information?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I've just had a look at our Occupations forum. To my surprise, we don't have a Hatters thread!

Starting to feel at home

Default Barratt family

HI sUE...MY APOLOGIES YES mARY jACKSON IS HIS MOTHER AND mARY bAGGALY HISWIFE...I do not know of any connection to William Barratt but some of Samuels children work in the pottery industry in the 1880s and 90s as printer, painter, moulder, transferer etc

Starting to feel at home

thanks Pam...and i have had no success re work life but then i am not as knowledgable and experienced as many of the people on this forum to whom i am so grateful.

Starting to feel at home

can you tell me more about the Parliamentary elections...please...

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    can you tell me more about the Parliamentary elections...please...
    Simply out of interest I had checked if Thomas in 1774 had voted for the winner - and he had.

That your "rellies" were able to vote at that time reflects their standing in society. Notice also the period of voting was spread over a few days - not simply a question of requisitioning the local school for the day. Rather the opportunity to wine and dine the great and the good and offer the "occasional" bung. Remember, the universal franchise and the secret ballot were a long way off. Have you heard of "rotten or pocket" boroughs?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast