Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Tank

Default Local knowledge sought

I'm trying to decipher an 1861 Census entry for Cavendish Smith in Durham (yes, I'm aware this is the page for Sussex) but on the Ancestry transcription he's down as Cavindish Smith born in Arbroath Sussex. I've been to the Arbroath where the smokies come from but I can't find an Arbroath in Sussex and wondered if anyone local had heard of it.

It's further complicated by the fact I haven't had any joy tracing his baptism yet and on the census entry has his trade as Mariner which would could equally apply to the Sussex coast as it can Angus.

Jan1954

Hi there,

If you could post the census reference please, that would be helpful for those with access.

Meanwhile, GENUKI lists towns and parishes for Sussex, but none look like Arbroath.

The Tank

Hi Jan

Hope you are well. The reference is Class: RG 9; Piece: 3791; Folio: 38; Page: 13;

The Civil parish is Westoe, Ecclesiastical parish is Holy Trinity in Durham
    Last edited by Mutley; 23-05-2012 at 9:08 PM. Reason: Removed GSU number as not allowed

Mutley

1861 Census reference is
    RG9/3791, Folio 38, Page 13
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

Wife Mary was born in Swalwell, Durham
    They are living in Westoe, Durham
    The original does look like Arbroath for Cavindish born (1806) but does not really look like Sussex.

Mutley

I wondered what the 1851 census said but I cannot seem to find him prior to his marriage to
    Mary Charlton registered in Dec 1854 in South Shields, Durham. If that is his marriage?

There is a possible death in 1864 in Ipswich. Do you have him on any earlier census?

Mutley

There is a marriage to Mary Charlton registered in Oct-Nov-Dec 1854 at South Shields, Durham
    It looks to be a second marriage for Mary Charlton as she is a widow on the 1851 with her Charlton children.

There is a christening of an Elizabeth Cavendish Smith with parents Cavendish Smith and​ Jane Smith
    on 12 Oct 1849 at St. Hilda,​ South Shields,​ Durham
    and a marriage of a
    Cavendish Smith to Jane Wood on 14 Nov 1832 at St. Shields, Durham. (Family Search)

So a possible second marriage for Cavendish.

You may have this information but it does put them Durham way rather than Sussex.

Mutley

There is a birth registration for Elizabeth in 1849 at South Shields but sadly there is also a death registration in 1850 so we will not find her on the 1851 census.
    I wonder if we can find her mother Jane?

malcolm99

I have sent a PM.

Thomasin

According to FMP's list of Merchant Navy Seamen, Cavendish Smith was born at Southwold, Suffolk on 13th March 1809. He first went to sea as an apprentice in November 1820. When unemployed, he resided at South Shields.

I can imagine Suffolk being misheard for Sussex, but it's hard to reconcile the other placename.

Mutley

There is also a
    Mary Ann Smith, parents are Cavendish Smith and Jane Smith with a christening date of 21 Jan 1844 at St Hilda, South Shields. Birth date: 21 Oct 1843. I cannot see her death so she may be with her parents in 1851.

I hope Malcolm's information is more useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast