Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by David Tuson View Post
    Oh, all right......................

Hows that for starters?
    David
    That's more like it, David. Never made #1 on your list - but the others------------ ah, yes I remenber them well. Only tried #5 once and that was after a couple of wobbly-pops and the ice was awfully hard so I didn't try again. The same experience with ski-ing [tried it once] and the ambulance was called [but by that time I was in my 20's so can't include it on this thread]

Colin

Nicolina

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    I didn't move to Leeds until 1972, Nicolina, my teen years were spent first in Huddersfield until 1967, then Isle of Man 1967-1971.

Often though my friends and I would go into Leeds for a night out. Did you go to the Mecca? Jimmy Saville was a DJ there in my days.
    I remember Jimmy well. I had a week-end job just along the road and used to see him regularly.
    Now you've really got me remembering. I had a boy friend from Pately Bridge who was so particular about his Triumph Bonneville that he wore white cotton gloves when he cleaned it.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Aaah.....now my memory has been jogged by other recollections.

Wimpy Bar's.....just loved them. The tommy sauce bottles. Unscrewed the top, so it was juuuuust holding on. And then watch the next customer putting Ketchup on their burger. Seemed funny then....but not so much now.

Push biking for miles and miles. And if we got really bored, we'd get a cheap Saturday train ticket into London, and play hide and seek on the London underground system. (I can't imagine parents letting their kids do that now.........not that mine knew, anyway).

Going to my first pub, well under aged...and getting served for the first time. Little did I know, that the landlord knew my Dad well. 'Hello young Fred'....he said, 'How's you Dad these days'.

'It's ok boy's.....sit thee down and be no trouble, and you'll be Ok.'.

We walked an hour and a half to that wee country pub......but not far enough, apparently. Good old boy, that Samuel Saw. And to top it off........his wife was the cook at school. 'Hello Stephen', she said, smiled and winked.

Thanks for the thread Colin.

Steve.

I remember the economics of being a teenager. Lots and lots of walking, and in my hilly city that was no joke. Students did not have cars in those days, and why waste money on public transport?

And lots of work. University five days a week, a regular proofreading job at the city newspaper on Saturdays, Bible Class on Sundays. Singing for fun in a classical choir, and occasionally for pay with my guitarist boyfriend in coffee bars performing the folk songs of the day. Wardrobe mistressed for a drama group.

And the holiday jobs. My scholarship paid my university fees and £60 per year. My first grant went on buying a Shorter Oxford Dictionary and a fur hat, with that balance of culture and frivolity that has been a theme throughout life! The rest of my income I had to find myself, by working holiday jobs - serving in a camera shop, a cake shop, finishing work in a laundry, cashier in a department store, catering, etc. But mostly proofreading back at that newspaper - for which in later years I wrote features and a book review column.

Anything to stretch a pound. I lived at home. All my clothes came from sales or were run up by Mum on her Singer.Petticoats were starched with sugar and water. Hair setting gel was replaced by stale beer - Dad would not give up his good stuff!

Wasn't just me, all the girls I knew at Uni were in the same boat. Were we the last generation who learned to be thrifty?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123