Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Barnzzz

1976 stands out in my memory.

Boyfriend dumped me
    Met new boyfriend who became future husband
    Left school with 3 o levels and several CSEs, no job, 3 million unemployed
    Fantastic summer weather, with a drought, unemployed so spent it playing golf, sitting in the park, sitting outside pubs as too hot
    Great suntan (it wasn't bad for you back then)
    Drought ended while we were sitting outside a pub
    Got first job in the autumn

Married at 18

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Hardships, disappontments, job sackings and emigration to Canada. I could write a pamphlet on that period of my life.

Colin
    Many of us are in the "Youth of old age". Surely we haven't forgotten our teenage years?

My quote says it all - but in hindsight, those years are very special to me.

I promise to share later my memories of that period of my life.

Colin.

lawsue

What a wonderful time in my life.
    I spent most of it on the beach.
    Boys, "Beatles", boys, "Beach Boys", boys, hot chips with vinegar (can't have that anymore), boys, sunburn, boys, overprotective mother(so I thought at the time, but it paid off in the end) boys, those gorgeous life savers watching over us.
    Got dumped more than once. Dumped a few myself. Church on Sunday (reluctantly, but it paid off in the end)
    Yep, it was great. Completely normal and completely happy. Or am I wearing rose coloured glasses, and forgotten the rotten bits. No, not as far as I'm concerned.I do remember the rotten bits, but they just served to teach me lessons along the way.
    It was great and carefree, but we were all responsible and respectful back then.
    Sue

Lizzy9

Fun, carefree, innocence, dance halls, coffee bars, 60's fashion, safer roads, safer street life, Police on the beat, buses arriving on time, ditto trains, Oh, the more I think about it the more I could go on!

record booths ~ anyone else remember record booths? My friends and I used to go to the local music store every Saturday where we'd choose three top ten hits to listen to in a booth; then it was off to a coffee bar before going home to get ready for Saturday night at the local Palais.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Fun,

record booths ~ anyone else remember record booths? My friends and I used to go to the local music store every Saturday where we'd choose three top ten hits to listen to in a booth; then it was off to a coffee bar before going home to get ready for Saturday night at the local Palais.
    I do.

Colin

Mutley

Wimpy Bars, do you remember the big round tomato of ketchup?
    We used to get a matchstick and wrap the silver paper from a fag packet around the top, it had to have a flat top in order to place a dollop of ketchup on it. Then we would stick the matchstick into the round tomato and squeeze very hard.
    The flying matchstick hit the ceiling and stuck! Whichever local Wimpy had the most matchsticks hanging from the ceiling was the 'place' to be while we listened to Cliff, Elvis and Roy and.....

Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream

of Sunday afternoons in the back row of the local flicks
    but of that, I shan't be telling

Nicolina

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Fun, carefree, innocence, dance halls, coffee bars, 60's fashion, safer roads, safer street life, Police on the beat, buses arriving on time, ditto trains, Oh, the more I think about it the more I could go on!

I remember the record booths as well.
    I think we might have been around the same places in the early 60's Lizzy. One of my regular haunts was a certain coffee bar near Woodhouse Moor.

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    I remember the record booths as well.
    I think we might have been around the same places in the early 60's Lizzy. One of my regular haunts was a certain coffee bar near Woodhouse Moor.
    I didn't move to Leeds until 1972, Nicolina, my teen years were spent first in Huddersfield until 1967, then Isle of Man 1967-1971.

Often though my friends and I would go into Leeds for a night out. Did you go to the Mecca? Jimmy Saville was a DJ there in my days.

Lizzy9

Mutley, kids at my school used to stick matches to the ceiling in the maths classroom, I can't remember what the sticking agent was .......... maybe ink. My classmates were mostly well behaved but did enjoy a laugh, our maths master was very weak and sometimes merry after a liquid lunch, the kids wanted to learn but teacher was incapable of teaching, the matchsticks were their way of protesting. Some horrid little so and so's used to flick ink on the back of the maths teacher's jacket, not sure he deserved that! He was pleasant enough, just an incompetent teacher, thankfully my class only had him for one year.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    David, surely, there's more than that to the period between the age of 13 and the day before your 20th birthday. Come on, don't be shy I will tell some of mine later.
    Oh, all right......................

Being selected for the school choir and singing in Salford Cathedral and the Free Trade Hall (Manchester)
    Learning to play an electric guitar and being in a youth club band
    Playing ten-pin bowling and winning a tournament
    Having a glass of beer in railway station bars while under the legal age
    Learning to ice skate, but never mastering skating backwards

Hows that for starters?
    David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast