Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The War of 1812

Colin Rowledge

Default The War of 1812

Since I'm striking out my Ball's in Australia, I'm searching a little closer to home - U.S.A. - that is.

It would appear [on the surface, anyway], that the grandson of William Ball - William John Redvers Denton Ball - married a lady by the name of Hilda. From what I have been able to find, Hilda is the 2XGreat Granddaughter of a Pioneer by the name of Nathanial Bunch, who fought in the War of 1812.

There is a service record of the War of 1812 on Ancestry, but there are no details except his name, rank and regiment. There are 7 such men with the same name on Ancestry, all of whom were of the same rank but in different regiments.

No images are available and I don't want attach the wrong man to my Ball tree.

Where may I find details to confirm him?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

Since I'm striking out on my Ball's in Australia, I'm searching a little closer to home - U.S.A. - that is.

Colin
    And on 2nd thoughts, I shouldn't have bothered. This looks like it's gonna be a darn sight tougher than shoe leather - may be I should just stick with the Aussie lot!! - or quit now while have some - minimal - sanity left.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Just to update - The daughter of William John Redvers Denton and Hilda Ball - has contacted me and she has 1/2 of Hilda's side [Hilda's mother] extensively researched and is now picking what is left of my 'brain' for her father's side of the family.

Colin

bamagirl

Hi, Colin.

If you decide to pursue the U.S. angle, then share what you have plus potential spouse/children connections, locations, etc. so we can help.

Regards,
    Barb

Colin Rowledge

For what it is worth, Hilda's maiden name was Ferguson. Hilda's mother was born in Freeport, Harper Co. Kansas on April 2. 1913. Before her marriage Hilda's mother was a Champlin and was born in 1884 Grandview, Arkansas. Miss Champlin, was the daughter of Hugh Champlin and Nancy Carolyn Bunch.

Nancy Carolyn was the Granddaughter of Nathanial Bunch and her father was Bradley Bunch and was born in Berryville, Carroll Co. Arkansas in 1843.

Colin

bamagirl

Okay, I'll do a little poking around in Arkansas to see what I can turn up. No promises, of course.

Hope you have a good day today.
    Barb

bamagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    For what it is worth, Hilda's maiden name was Ferguson. Hilda's mother was born in Freeport, Harper Co. Kansas on April 2. 1913. Before her marriage Hilda's mother was a Champlin and was born in 1884 Grandview, Arkansas. Miss Champlin, was the daughter of Hugh Champlin and Nancy Carolyn Bunch.

Nancy Carolyn was the Granddaughter of Nathanial Bunch and her father was Bradley Bunch and was born in Berryville, Carroll Co. Arkansas in 1843.

Colin
    Okay, I found quite a bit, but the dates don't quite line up. I'll list many links with a few notes, then you can decide if it's any help.

I started with the 1850 Census in Carroll County on HeritageQuest (so I can't post a link), but you can probably find an image view somewhere else:
    (sorry the tab stops disappear - hope you can read it)

1860 Federal Census, Berryville P.O., Kings River Twp, Carroll County Arkansas, from August 13, 1860

Page 110; Lines 13-22; Dwelling 736; Family 717
    Bradley Bunch 42 (1818) m b. Ten Farmer
    Jane 42 (1818) f b. Ten
    Nathiel C 19 (1841) m b. Ark Farmer
    John F (twin) 17 (1843) m b. Ark Farmer
    Nancy C (twin) 17 (1843) f b. Ark
    Geo M D 15 (1845) m b. Ark
    Lucetta 10 (1850) f b. Ark
    Thomas S 8 (1852) m b. Ark
    Elias N C 4 (1856) m b. Ark
    Arozona 2 (1858) f b. Ark

================================================== =====
    The rest is from the USGenWeb archives project...

https://files.usgwarchives.net/ar/car...ios/bbunch.txt

Carroll Co., AR - Biographies - Hon. Bradley Bunch
    says Bradley is born in Overton County, Tennessee and Nathaniel is from Virginia

https://files.usgwarchives.net/ar/newton/bios/bunch.txt

Biography of John A Bunch, Newton Co, AR
    (a grandson of Nathaniel Bunch)

https://files.usgwarchives.net/ar/new...0/census50.txt

Osage Township Newton co. November 8, 1850
    (do a CTRL+F and type in Bunch to find each one on this long page)

https://files.usgwarchives.net/ar/car...50/pg0133a.txt

Household #271 Osage Twp Carrol Co.
    (do a CTRL+F and type in Bunch to find each one on this long page)

https://files.usgwarchives.net/ar/new...mili182gmt.txt

Some Military Land Grants In Newton County Arkansas For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812

Name: Bunch, Nathaniel
    Regiment: Hill’s Company Tennessee Militia
    Granted to: Nathaniel Bunch

https://files.usgwarchives.net/ar/car...mili157gmt.txt

Some Military Land Grants In Carroll County Arkansas For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812

Name: Bunch, Nathaniel
    Regiment: 2nd Tennessee Militia
    Granted to: Nathaniel Bunch

================================================== ======

From HeritageQuest census search results:

1820 - Nathaniel Bunch is in Overton Co, TN

I started to look at the Tennessee USGenWeb stuff, but decided I'd better post what I had first.

Gotta go,
    Barb

Colin Rowledge

Hello Barb.

Words fail me in what you have achieved, There is so much to gigest that I will start with the 1850 and 1960 ensus records.

I think I have right family in 1850 where they are transcribed as BURICH but corrected to read Bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by bamagirl View Post
    Okay, I found quite a bit, but the dates don't quite line up. I'll list many links with a few notes, then you can decide if it's any help.

I started with the 1850 Census in Carroll County on HeritageQuest (so I can't post a link), but you can probably find an image view somewhere else:
    (sorry the tab stops disappear - hope you can read it)

1860 Federal Census, Berryville P.O., Kings River Twp, Carroll County Arkansas, from August 13, 1860

Page 110; Lines 13-22; Dwelling 736; Family 717
    Bradley Bunch 42 (1818) m b. Ten Farmer
    Jane 42 (1818) f b. Ten
    Nathiel C 19 (1841) m b. Ark Farmer
    John F (twin) 17 (1843) m b. Ark Farmer
    Nancy C (twin) 17 (1843) f b. Ark
    Geo M D 15 (1845) m b. Ark
    Lucetta 10 (1850) f b. Ark
    Thomas S 8 (1852) m b. Ark
    Elias N C 4 (1856) m b. Ark
    Arozona 2 (1858) f b. Ark

Barb
    The family in 1860 is missing 2 children that were on the 1850 census - William M [born abt 1838] and Tilford D. [born abt 1848]

Census records after 1860, show the family at a different locale, but still in Carroll Co. Arkansas, so I think it is them.

It has been 'suggested' that Bradley Bunch married a lady by the name of Jane Boswell in 1836 and that during their life together she bore him 14 children.

I am sure there's more to this family so will now review the census records up to their deaths.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

This is going to be a fascinating branch - even though it relates to the spouse of my grand-uncle.

Colin

JohnN

I had wondered from time to time - and now I know.

The answer appears under 'What's New': 'The War of 1812 - Started by Colin Rowledge'.

He gets around, does our Colin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast