mariebaker

Default "Rebecca" is driving me insane!!!

Hi,
    please can someone out there whose head is not spinning,help me with this brick wall,before I give up entirely!
    John Delves was born c1781 in Buxted Sussex,and died in Edenbridge in 1853.
    The 1841 census has him in Edenbridge with his wife Rebecca and 2 youngest children David and Mary.
    He is also in 1851 census in Edenbridge.Rebecca is given as born c1786 in Edenbridge.
    I can not for the life of me find any records apart from 41 51 and 61 census for Rebecca.I really need her Maiden name to progress!
    Grateful for any clues at all.
    Marie.

Colin Rowledge

Looking at the 1851 census she was born in Edenbridge, Kent. The only child at home was born in Edenbridge in 1829. The parish records may be a good place to start

Colin

Coromandel

This website claims she was Rebecca Mitchenall, bapt. 1786 in Edenbridge:
    https://www.
    theweald.org/N10.asp?NId=4312417

However, her marriage to John Delves doesn't seem to have been found. Without source citation* it's difficult to judge the accuracy. It may just be an assumption (perhaps she's the only Rebecca who was baptised at Edenbridge at the right sort of time?) but worth checking out none the less.

*There aren't any sources cited online, but there is an option to contact the person who submitted the information.

Mutley

There is a death registration for a Rebecca Delves registered in Dec 1867 age 81 (1786) at Sevenoaks, Kent.

Sevenoaks is the Registration district for Edenbridge.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    This website claims she was Rebecca Mitchenall, bapt. 1786 in Edenbridge:
    https://www.
    theweald.org/N10.asp?NId=4312417

However, her marriage to John Delves doesn't seem to have been found. Without source citation* it's difficult to judge the accuracy. It may just be an assumption (perhaps she's the only Rebecca who was baptised at Edenbridge at the right sort of time?) but worth checking out none the less.

*There aren't any sources cited online, but there is an option to contact the person who submitted the information.
    The christening of Rebecca Mitchenell was at Edenbridge on 18 Jun 1837. Parents William & Mary Mitchernell.
    If it is your Rebecca that died in 1867 then she would have been 30 instead of 81. She is in the 1841 census aged 4 as Mitchernall.

Unless there is an earlier christening for a Rebecca Mitchena/ell, I cannot find one yet......

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    The christening of Rebecca Mitchenell was at Edenbridge on 18 Jun 1837. Parents William & Mary Mitchernell.
    If it is your Rebecca that died in 1867 then she would have been 30 instead of 81. She is in the 1841 census aged 4 as Mitchernall.

Unless there is an earlier christening for a Rebecca Mitchena/ell, I cannot find one yet......
    On the website mentioned by Coromandel above, there is also a christening for a Rebecca MITCHENALL on 10th January 1786 at St Peter and St Paul in Edenbridge, to parents John and Hannah.

The life of Rebecca is spread out and it is possible to contact the submitter for further details, which I think would be a good idea as there is no definitive date for her marriage to John DELVES.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Earliest baptism for John and Rebecca appears to be James 1805 Edenbridge...so would expect to find a marriage abt 1803+ there is a list of marriages for Edenbridge marriages been transcribed from micro film marriages Edenbridge 1688-1837, online,no record of a marriage for John and Rebecca amongst the names.

https://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mrawson/edenmar.html

mariebaker

Hi and thanks for all your help.
    I think there must be at least 2 if not more Rebecca Mitchenalls. Mine was definately born c1786 as she is 55 yrs old in the 1841census,65 in 51,and 75 in 61.
    I have just this minute come across a marriage in the Pallotts index for a Rebecca Mitchnell to a John Dales in 1805 which fits the time scale,in Titsey in Surrey.Do you think this could possibly be the one?(ie spelling mistake).

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by mariebaker View Post
    I have just this minute come across a marriage in the Pallotts index for a Rebecca Mitchnell to a John Dales in 1805 which fits the time scale,in Titsey in Surrey.

Just to let you know that the image of Bishop Transcript of this marriage is on Ancestry which you can view if you have the relevant sub.

To me the surname looks like Dal_s but the writing is a little worn and the letter after the l is not very apparent. There is also a transcription of the marriage on Family Search (source film is 814223), which is from the parish register of Titsey rather than the BT and it also has the surname as DALES. Even so, I would consider sending for a copy of the parish register entry from the Surrey record office so that you can eyeball the surname as written on the original register for yourself.

Having said all this, it is feasible that the name was spoken as DELVES but misheard as DALES. One plus is that Titsey is not terribly far from Edenbridge. Another plus is that there does not appear to be any children baptised to John and Rebecca DALES (on Family Search that is.)