Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nicolina

I've managed to find it now, but have absolutely no idea what it says, unless it ends in '.....finer'. What does the preceding column say?
    the preceedng column says that they were Church of England but I cannot see what their occupation was. I'll keeptrying to improve the image but it is so feint

Nicolina

well I've tried various techniques but the image doesn't clean up very well. One thing I can say is that they do not appear to be Clerks. The entry below is for a Bank Clerk and that looks totally different.

Thomasin

Bank Clerk is one that I discounted too. If the preceding column ends in 'England', then the 'd' has intruded into the column we are looking at. So what on earth is that first letter?

Mary Anne

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this one. It's a toughy. I can't seem to find anywhere online that has a higher res image - it gets really pixilated really fast when you try to manipulate it.

I am thinking it looks like "Trained Nurse," too (thanks AnnB). I think the statistician's subsequent tick-mark is at the end of the second word, making it look like a "Y' or other letter with a tail on it. I thought at first it might be "House Keeping," but then of course there would be no income expected from that. But I think I see now that the tail is not part of the original word. Trained Nurse is also an occupation that might be expected to make some money -- they say they earned $480 in the year, which seems to fit with that period.

Any other suggestions, pls let me know. For now, anyway, I think I'll go with "Trained Nurse".

Thank you all.

Mary Anne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12