Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Looking for a marriage for Charles Andrews

Hi I am trying to find a marriage for Charles in India, he was born 1789 at Monxton Hampshire to John and Jane Andrews. Charles joined the military in 1804 and was in India by 1806 he worked his way up to Major he died in 1842 at Ludhiana Punjab India and there is a Memorial to him in the Church yard at Ludhiana, at the time of his death he was commanding the 2nd European Light Infantry. We know that he had at least one child Caroline Helen Knyvett Andrews who was born in 1837 at the time of her birth he was listed as Major Charles Andrews and was in the 64th Regiment, Native Infantry and his residence was recorded as Pitter Hut, Bundlecund, India.
    When his daughter married Jonathon Keer on 16 March 1852 at Orai India there is a report in a newspaper stating the she was the only daughter of Charles Andrews. Yesterday I was contacted by a lady in Australia who is Charles’s gg granddaughter and she also doesn’t know who he married either. Caroline and Jonathon went on to have five children all born in India, Jonathan brought his family to the UK in about 1866, I have been told they went first to Raydon Hall Orford Suffolk and then he returned to India for another 7 years. When he returned Caroline and the children were living in St Saviour, Jersey. After Jonathon returned from India the family moved to Edinburgh where Caroline died in 1873.
    So we are thinking that his wife could have been a Knyvett and there is a family story that she died in an Indian uprising, however this has not been proven. This info came from the lady that contacted me yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated in finding out who Charles married.

Coromandel

I've had no luck yet with finding a marriage or anything that refers to Charles' wife's name. But while I was searching for more about his daughter Caroline I did come across a death announcement which may lead to the answer. The death of Caroline Helen Knivett (sic) Keer was announced in the Ipswich Journal, 26 July 1873:

'KEER. - 2(0?)th inst., at Edinburgh, Caroline Helen Knivett, beloved wife of Colonel J. Keer, Staff Corps, Bengal Army.'

The fact that Caroline died in Scotland* may turn out to be helpful since Scottish death certificates are more informative than English ones (and can include mother's name). You should be able to look at the image of the death register on Scotland's People.

While looking for information about this Caroline I came across some references to Caroline Helen Keer (1857-1928), presumably her daughter. She became Matron-in-Chief of the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. There's a short biography here:

https://www.
    noble.com.au/auctions/lot?id=60227

*which I see you already know, now that I've re-read your first post more carefully! Sorry.

birdlip

I don't know if you've noticed this, on family search:

Laura Helen Knyvett GOLDING b 02 Sep 1830, bap 17 Jan 1832 Noah Colly, Bengal, India. Parents Baillie GOLDING and Elizabeth PALMER

Likely to be a connection?

Thanks heaps Coromandel and birdlip, I have tried to find the death on Scotland's People but I can't see it there at all. Can anybody help to find it? As for the Golding name I am sure that Carole in the US has this surname in her Andrews line so I will send her a message. I did find a Charles Andrews born in India in 1829 bap 30 April 1832 at Serampore India his father was listed as Charles no mothers name given. I don't know if this is our family or not.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by michellemcintosh3 View Post
    I have tried to find the death on Scotland's People but I can't see it there at all. Can anybody help to find it?

In the Statutory Deaths 1855-2009, there is one match if you search for the following:

Surname: Keer
    Forename: Caroline Helen
    Year Range: 1873 to 1873

It doesn't match if you choose 'Edinburgh' from the very bottom box (District) but does if you choose 'Edinburgh City' from the County/City/Minor Records menu. I was too lazy to work through all the districts of 'Edinburgh City' to see which one was correct.

It still matches if you put 'Andrews' in the 'Other Surnames' box.

Thanks coromandel I found it and have down loaded it but it doesn't give her mothers name. Her Husband was a Lt Colonel in the Bengal Staff Corps and it listed her father as Charles Andrews Major Bengal Army (deceased) and that she died in a private Hospital in Edinburgh. So we are no nearer to finding out who her mother was. I would have thought that their marriage in March 1852 would have made the newspaper or the Gentalmens Mag as Charles's sisters weddings were their.

Coromandel

It's a shame the death register didn't give any new leads. As for the 1852 marriage, I'm sure it is mentioned in an Ipswich paper (I think that's where the Keers were from). I have to go off to work soon but will check later.

Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    Laura Helen Knyvett GOLDING b 02 Sep 1830, bap 17 Jan 1832 Noah Colly, Bengal, India. Parents Baillie GOLDING and Elizabeth PALMER
    It looks like Palmer was Elizabeth's middle name not surname. Elizabeth Palmer Sealy married Bailie Goldine, 25 June 1824, Calcutta, according to FamilySearch.

The Asiatic journal and monthly miscellany has this marrriage in June 1824: '25. At St. John's Cathedral, Bailie Golding, Esq., of the Civil Service, to Mrs. Elizabeth Palmer Sealy'. (She had perhaps been married before to a Charles Sealy but this needs further investigation.)

Gentleman's Magazine 1852 announces the death on June 22 'At Hove, Brighton, Elizabeth-Palmer, wife of B. Golding, esq., of Maiden Erleigh, Berks.'

Thanks Coromandel. There is a mention of an Obituary of Jonathan Keer in 1907 it is held at the Glasgow Uni Archives it is with a lot of papers from his daughter Honoria Somerville Keer . She is his daughter with his second wife Eliza Somerville they married in 1877 and Honoria was born at Toronto Canada in 1883 she became a doctor in 1910. I need help in finding this Obituary as I hope that it mentions his first wife.

I found a ref on the net that Caroline H Keer b 1857 India and Jonathan Keer b 1856 India were on the 1861 census living with their grandparents at Orford Suffolk. Could I ask for somebody to do a lookup please to get the Grandparents names . Thanks

Coromandel

A few odds and ends for you . . . .

I did look up the 1861 census earlier when I was at the library but got kicked off the computer before I could log on to the forum and give the details. Jonathan and Caroline's grandfather was Francis Keer, a farmer, and the farm was called Raydon or Baydon. His wife was Mary I think and there were a couple of unmarried sons still at home. I don't remember how old Francis & Mary were.

Re. the obituary of Jonathan Keer senior, you may be able to get a copy from Glasgow University as the Archives Hub catalogue refers to it being pasted into a book in that collection of Honoria S. Keer's papers. There's lots of other stuff there about Jonathan Keer including photos. If you haven't found the online catalogue let me know and I'll post a link to it.

I've also been trying to search online books etc. for combinations of Andrews, 64th N.I., etc. etc. and found a few more bits and pieces:

The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Miscellany, Vol. 28 [1829] [Google Books]
    'To New South Wales - Feb. 13. Lieut. Chas. Burnett, 8th N.I., for eighteen months, for health (via Mauritius). - Maj. W. Reding, 53d. N.I., ditto ditto (via ditto). - Capt. C. Andrews, 64th N.I., ditto ditto (via ditto).'

The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register [1831] [Google Books]
    'Head-Quarters, April 12 and 13. - The following frontier and division orders confirmed: Capt. C. Andrews, 64th N.I., to officiate as major of brigade on frontier, until further orders; date 25th Feb. . . .'
    (and other similar announcements)

The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register for British India and its Dependencies
    (1833, probably October or November)
    'Capt. Chas. Andrews, 64th N.I., to act as superintendent and paymaster of invalids for stations of Benares, Dinapore, and Monghyr, during absence, on leave, of Capt. Goldie.'

This one is interesting in that it could be another child . . . but it doesn't name the regiment so I'm not sure:

'UJH, PARGANA BHADOHI
    761. - 1828 - ANDREWS, C. Inscription:- To the memory of
    Charlotte, daughter of Captain Chas. Andrews. She departed
    this life the 6th November 1828, aged 13 months and 20 days.
    [Close to mile 467 of Grand Trunk Road, not far from the thana.]'

From 'List of inscriptions on Christian tombs and tablets of historical interest in the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh' (by Edward Blunt). You can find this at

https://www.
    ebooksread.com/authors-eng/edward-blunt.shtml

(This is from the online e-text so may contain OCR errors; you may be able to download scanned images of the book to check the original.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast