Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postman's Park

sueannbowen

Default Postman's Park

I have recently read an article on G F Watts memorial park in London. It looks charming and has some very interesting plaques commemorating acts of heroism by ordinary people.

https://www.urban75.org/london/postman.html

This doesn't show all of the plaques but I bet there is a list somewhere.

I think it looks lovely and the Victorian tiles are wonderful. It would be lovely to have an ancestors death commemorated in this way (if you know what I mean).

Sue

spison

Looks a lovely spot - have put the index on my favourites for my trip to the UK (hopefully next year).

Jane

MarkJ

I agree Jane - it does look a lovely spot, right in the middle of town.

What a super little idea by G.F Watts - and to think he had to fund such a memorial park himself.

Mark

sueannbowen

Amazing! I also think the tiles are fabulous. Then when I scrolled down there is a memorial to a a young man who died in 2007. It doesn't say who put it there though.

Sue off to work now...

Liane Hawes

It is a lovely little park. I walk through it morning and evening on my way from station to office and back again. It is only a small park but it is lovely to have a bit of peace and quiet in the busy hubbub of London and being so close to St. Paul's Cathedral, if you visit London it is a nice little place to stop with your sandwiches.

The memorials are lovely to read and (unfortunately) there is plenty of space for more. The latest memorial was for a man who died in 2007 saving a child from drowning so its nice that people are still being honoured today.

Liane

Mutley

Just five minutes from where I was born. It is lovely.

Liane Hawes

Smile

Hi All

Further to my earlier post, I still walk through this lovely little park every day to and from work and yes Sueann I couldn't find a complete list of all the memorials on the internet either, so I have made a point of stopping some mornings and evenings and jotting down the memorial plaques and I now have a complete listing of these in either word or PDF format. If anyone knows how I can attach it to this post then please let me know (computers and I don't mix well) and I will do so, if not maybe one of the moderators can tell me or I can send it to them and they can post it somewhere so all can view - maybe someone might find a relative commemorated there.

It's very humbling reading some of the brave things these people did, makes you wonder if you would be so brave in those situations - I would like to think so!

Have a good day all.

Liane

Colin Moretti

Why not email the website compilers (urban75 - see their contact us link) to ask them if they would add the list to the site? It's the obvious place to have it.

Colin

Procat

As far as I am aware you cannot attach a word or pdf file on the forum.

I think Colin's suggestion is very logical.

Liane Hawes

Smile

Hi Colin/Procat

Thanks for the suggestions, I have Emailed Urban75 so see what they say. In the meantime I thought I would put a brief list of all the surnames on the 'Surname Interests' page so that anyone can have a quick look.

Liane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast