Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wozza_y2k_uk

Default Pulling my hair out at this mystery

Hi guys im new to this forum and im happy ive foud it as i am at a loose end with a ancestior. I have a marriage cert great, great, great grandad but cant find his parents. His name is William Worrall and he married a Jane Bucknall. They were living at Bilston at the time of the marrage and he is down as a miner on the cert. The marriage was in 1865 where his age was 20 on the cert. Now the bits which i cant workout, his father is down as William Worrall and he is also down as a miner in the fathers occupation. Theres no Worrall down as a witness to give me any siblings or cousins. Looking through the census's i cant find a William Worrall with that sort of d.o.b with a father as William Worrall. The areas he'd probably be living is Tipton,Bilston,Darlaston (poss).
    If someone could be kind enough to help i'd be much appriciated because im starting to give up on him

anamarja

The 1861 census (RG9/1858/p18) gives:

William Worrall, head, age 44, coal miner, born Hodnet, Shropshire,
    wife Emma, age 47, born Hodnet, Shropshire;
    William Worrall, son, age 21, coal miner, born Hadley, Shropshire,
    John Worrall, son, 19, coal miner, born Hadley, Shropshire
    Ann Maria Worrall, daughter, 17, scholar, born Dawley, Shropshire
    George Worrall, son, 14, coal miner, born Madeley, Shropshire
    Mary Worrall, daughter, 6, scholar, born Madeley, Shropshir.

Hope this helps.
    Margaret

wozza_y2k_uk

hey thanks for quick response and info Margaret,that would have made him 24 at the time of the marrage,on the cert its got him at 20 so not sure.

MarkJ

Not saying this is the case here, but bear in mind that people sometimes gave a fictional name as a father if they were illegitimate. It didn't always happen, but occasionally, to "keep up appearences" a father was invented.
    It may be worth trying to track down a baptism for William - that may give more of a clue with regard to a father.....

Is there a birth registered for William or was he that little bit too early?

LittleMissP

Have you found him on later censuses? Perhaps this is him here with wife Jane and various children in 1881:

Class: RG11; Piece: 2808; Folio: 72; Page: 20 (Census crown copyright care of TNA)

He is born abt 1846 in Tipton, Staffordshire and working as a coal miner

wozza_y2k_uk

On the 1871 i have him living in willenhall with his wife jane,with her parents 'the Bucknells' or same street

LittleMissP

And possibly here in 1891, again a coal miner with wife Jane and the same (plus another) children:

Class: RG12; Piece: 2237; Folio: 48; Page: 9 (Census crown copyright care of TNA)

Note however that this time he says born abt 1839 in Willenhall.

People's ages often did change a little over the course of a few censuses, and sometimes they either may not have known exactly where they were born or sometimes they were enumerated as born where they were currently living (not necessarily correctly).

anamarja

1851 census, reference HO107/1988/F199/p 38 (census ref courtesy of TNA, crown copyright)

William Worrock head, age 34, occupation labourer, born Stanton, Shropshire
    Emma Worrock, wife, age 38, born Hodmith, Shropshire
    William Worrock, son, age 11, brick maker, born Wellington, Shropshire
    John Worrock, son, age 9, born Wellington
    Anne M Worrock, daughter, age 7, born Dawley, Shropshire
    George Worrock, son, age 4, born Madeley, Shropshire.

Forgot to add the copyright reference on previous post. Sorry, mods.

wozza_y2k_uk

on the 1861 i found a william worrall born 1846 of tipton boarding in Darlaston which is only down the road with a William Perks.His occupation is coal miner

wozza_y2k_uk

just searched freereg for any info but as usual nothing.Thinking im gonna have to give up on this now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast