Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by BearPear View Post
    I have certificates for James to confirm his parents as Caroline & Samuel - I guess their marriage certificate would be prime candidate.
    Yes, and as pennydog has a church for you (post # 5) get a copy of the entry in the parish register from the relevant archives office.
    Transcriptions - which is all you've seen so far - have been known to be wrong. And there are times when the vicar's writing is atrocious, and barely legible, so copies sent to the GRO are liable for mis-transcription en route.

Pam

BearPear

The certificate of Samuel & Selina's marriage is on Ancestry so getting an original wouldn't be different. The script is clearly "Selina". The GRO index was accurate in this case!

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I wish you hadn't said that because this one would really confuse matters...

Marriages Dec 1857
    Jowett George Helliwell Bradford YK. 9b 180
    Thank you Peter - I'm so glad you've put me out of my misery by finding him.

pennydog

George Helliwell Jowett was born on 5/2/1835 and baptised at St. Peter Bradford (Bradford Cathedral) on 12/4/1835 son of Jonas and Mary Jowett of Bowling.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by BearPear View Post
    The certificate of Samuel & Selina's marriage is on Ancestry so getting an original wouldn't be different. The script is clearly "Selina". The GRO index was accurate in this case!
    Ooops. Sorry, I didn't know Ancestry had original images for (at least some of) Yorkshire.

Will go back to sleep.

Pam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123