Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default LAWRENCE HENRY JACOBS ALIAS LAWRENCE HANRAY

Well done Robert for spotting the birth of Lawrence Henry Jacobs which matches that for Lawrence/Laurence HANRAY the actor. There are photos of him in The Times and other newspapers and also of his daughter Ursula.
    I also tracked down who Lawrence's 2nd wife was- she was Lois Grace HEATHERLEY b 1 March 1892 baptised 26 April 1892- parents Francis Heatherley and Grace. Francis was a physician/surgeon and Grace Edith SACKETT.
    I have data on the lines which I will post.
    Can't trace Ursula death/marriage. Ursula SE Hanray mother's maiden name Heatherley Dec qtr 1923 Paddington 1a 36a. Death Lawrence Hanray Dec qtr 1947 age 73 Marylebone 5d 276. Marriage Lawrence Hanray Sept qtr 1918 to Lois Heatherley Paddington 1a 182

Ps I have more Nathan links which I will post separately on.
    Phillip

Default ANGEL JACOBS HANRAY DIED 1910 AGE 80

Robert and other researchers- Angel H Jacobs referred to in earlier posts who died in 1893 was the son of Henry Jacobs and Elizabeth Myers. Angel's synagogue recorded cited on the Jacobstree website gives a synagogue birth record for June 1819. Interestingly, the Free BMD Death record for Angel Jacobs HANRAY gives a comparable dob of 1820- June qtr 1910 Paddington 1a 14 age 80. We have no record on another Angel Jacobs on the Jacobstree website and the use of the surname Hanray with the combination of Angel Jacobs raises the question as to who this person was. I can't trace him on Ancestry Com or elsewhere- his death cert may provide a clue but I suspect this is another surname change. Can anyone identify any further data on this individual?
    Phillip

RDWard

re ANGEL JACOBS HANRAY DIED 1910
    The FreeBMD and Ancestry records are mistranscribed (I think Ancestry simply copies FreeBMD). It actually says Angelo Jacobs Hanray aged 60. I have submitted corrections to both FreeBMD and Ancestry. The mistranscription of the age seems to be the result of an indistinct FreeBMD scan; the Ancestry scan clearly shows age 60. In other words, this is Angelo Jacobs, husband of Leah Nathan. If you look in the 1901 census you'll find Angelo, Leah and Bessie together in London named Hanray. In 1911, Leah is a widow with Bessie and Bessie's husband, named Barron. They are easy to find because there are very few Hanrays. Lawrence is an actor in Lancashire in 1911 but I haven't yet spotted him in 1901 - he may be mistranscribed. Leah died in 1946, the year before Lawrence. The name change from Jacobs to Hanray seems to have occurred after 1897 when Angelo's business failed - there are notices in the London Gazette for Angelo Jacobs in early 1897.

RDWard

This post raises further questions about the relationship between the Levys, Nathans, Jacobs and Abrahams. It is rather complicated but as Philip implies, complexity is our only chance of sorting out the various connections.

I have previously been of the opinion that Maurice Nathan/Newton the subject of this thread, was a cousin of Henry Levy solicitor of 18 Surrey Street, Strand, due to their parents, Elizabeth Levy and Lawrence Isaac Nathan being apparent siblings (see my previous post reasoning through why they are siblings). Several things point to Henry Levy being a cousin: (i) Henry Levy refers in his will to his cousin Henry Nathan Newton (Maurice Nathan/Newton's brother), (ii) the case of Noel v Boyd (1835) establishes that brothers John Lewis and Lawrence Levy (sons of Elizabeth Levy) had a cousin called Newton who was an attorney; (iii) in Newton v Bishop (1849), it was stated that "Nathan the Sheriff's Officer", Morris (Maurice) Newton and Mark Taylor were three brothers all originally called Nathan, and that they had a cousin called Lewis who was an attorney (probably Elizabeth Levy's son Charles); these brothers also crop up in the bankrupty hearing of Edward Lawrence Levy (1852).

However, I have recently been given a list of bequests in the will of Maurice/Morris Newton/Nathan's mother Julia Nathan (nee Abrahams, c1814-1891) amongst which she leaves £20 to *her* cousin Henry Levy, solicitor of 18 Surrey Street to buy a ring to wear in her memory. That would seem to make the relationship between Henry Levy and Henry Nathan Newton, rather than first cousins, one of first cousins once removed. It also seems to imply that Henry Levy's mother Elizabeth was originally, rather than being a Nathan, either a Abrahams or a Jacobs (Julia's parents).

Is this just Julia's loose use of the term 'cousin'? Or could it be that Elizabeth Levy's children were cousins to both Julia Nathan AND her children? I struggle to think up how this might be true, although it is known that Elizabeth's was previously married to someone else before William Levy. I sometimes wonder if it will ever be possible to work it all out.

Robert

Robert
    Could you please post the bequests so that there are further names to research. I note on Synagogue Scribes the two wills of Moses Levy Newton 1823 and Coleman Levy Newton and noted in the case of Coleman that he named his illegitimate 3 sons Edward; Louis, Philip Newton. A point worth considering is do these wills contain any links to the Newton you are researching or are they separate families. In addition, the issue of illegitimate children may be a reason why the Levy/Nathan are difficult to trace and identify the relationships. These maybe long shots but worth considering. The name changes and the use of terms such as 'cousin' may cover a range of relationships as well you and I know.
    Phillip

Robert
    Just to say that Moses Levy Newton was Moses Levy who married Anne Solomon. Moses was the brother of Sampson Lucas and changed his name to Levy Newton in 1800. There is a family tree of the lines in 'Records of the Franklin Family and Collaterals' Arthur Ellis Franklin, 1914 London- this record is online. I have provided this data ( which may have nothing to do with the Nathan Newton) as an example of the complexities when researching these names.
    Phillip

Robert
    To add to the possible confusion I note on Synagogue Scribes the Probate summary of Moses Nathan NA750 Probate 14 March 1850 20 Somerset Place New Rd Whitechapel. In his will Moses leaves a bequest to his grandson Maurice Newton and his wife Katherine (Catherine). Maurice was the son of Isaac Newton and Catherine the daughter of Lewis and Agnes Cantor. I have seen at least 1 family tree which names Maurice as Maurice Nathan Newton. Maurice married Catherine in 1843 and several of their children emigrated to New York. The inclusion of the names of dead relatives either first names or surnames is a common feature in many of the families. Again, there maybe no links to Maurice Nathan/Newton/Levy lines but it is worth looking 'outside the box' with these families.
    Phillip

Robert
    As you already know the Probate summary of Morris Newton late of 10 Lancaster Place Strand Middx who died 3 May 1867 at Woodbury Biggin Hill Norwood Surrey was proved by Henry Nathan 22 Chancery Lane Middx Officer to the Sheriff of Middx the Nephew and Henry Levy of 18 Surrey St Strand Attorney at law.

Do you have a full copy of his will? The reference to Henry Nathan as a nephew suggests a closer look at who is actually related to who. Morris never married so there are no descendants to consider on his line.
    Phillip

RDWard

Phillip
    Full copies of wills could well provide further useful clues. The cost is not too great at £3.50 per download of the pre-1858 wills, and of course you get them immediately, but unless anyone knows a better way, later ones have to be ordered on paper, are expensive and seem to take several weeks. I can see I need to get hold of more of the Levy/Nathan/Newton wills.
    Further to yesterday's posts, I understand that the 1891 will of Julia Nathan nee Jacobs, widow of Lawrence Isaac Nathan, names the following beneficiaries: son Henry, son Morris, daughter Fanny wife of Lorenzo Brindley, daughter Kate wife of Oliver Imray, daughter Leah wife of Angelo Jacobs, cousin Henry Levy of 18 Surrey Street, Strand solicitor.
    I don't have Morris Newton's will, and the other names you mention do not seem familiar at the moment. Regarding Morris Newton, Henry Nathan would be Lawrence Isaac Nathan's son Henry Nathan Newton, and Henry Levy is the 18 Surrey Street solicitor named by Julia Nathan as her cousin, whom I previously had as her nephew and cousin of Henry Nathan Newton.
    Robert
    Last edited by RDWard; 16-06-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: additional response to questions

Robert
    As you may know I visited the Society of Genealogists in London on several occasions and located the Jacobs/Litzen/Crawcour and many other family trees and data contained in the Colyer Fergusson and Hyamson Anglo Jewish records. These records are not always accurate but they do give data which can be checked and verified. However, the hundreds of family trees often refer to the more prominent Anglo Jews many of whom were in business. What I did not look at in any detail were the Levy/Levi/Nathan lines because at the time my focus was on identifying my own roots. I say all of this because I suspect that there maybe further data which remains to be located on the Levy etc. Carol Freeman my Jacobs cousin from USA did visit SOG with me and we did locate the Daniel Levy line- The Turnpike Trust Levy. In addition, Carol placed this data on the Jacobs website but had missed out the relationship between Daniel Levy and the Turnpike Trust Levy. I subsequently established that relationship as you know.
    My thoughts are that a visit to SOG may produce more information- it may however not and depends on what records exist. The Latter Day Saints have microfilms of the Collyer Ferguson and Hyamson data I believe plus Synagogue records on film which I have seen in London. They can arrange for these films to be viewed at one of their local branches and copies ( a percentage based on copyright protection) can be made.
    I was planning some time to re- visit SOG and the London Metropolitan Archives to review a range of records.
    Phillip

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast