Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Robert
    The Newspaper article opens up new lines of pursuit regarding name changes. Have you informed Dave Simpson regarding the data so that he can update the Jacobstree site? Many of the names also relate to Debbie Bozkurt who has posted on this site in the past.
    I will take a further look at the list and also add comments if I discover more. Currently I am working on the Boss/Nathan/Alexander lines in relation to the Jacobs.
    Well done for discovering this data.
    Phillip

Robert
    Following on from the newspaper article I will post separately on a new thread regarding Henry Jacobs/Harry Braham Jacobs/Harry Braham Janson including what I know of his 4 children with Clara Samuel and Clara's later relationship with Nathaniel Platnauer and their 3 children. It looks to me as if Clara was divorced from Henry/Harry because in the newspaper article she is known as Clara Platnauer. I can't trace her marriage to Nathaniel ( would appreciate any assistance locating her divorce and 2nd marriage). Her first 4 children were: Nora; Byron b 1889; Grace; David and her 3 children with Nathaniel were Joyce b 1901;Gloria b 1902; Natalie b 1905. Nathaniel Platnauer was b 1863 died 1937 son of George Platnauer and Julia Silverstone.
    Clara is part of the H Samuel jewellers family as Debbie Bozkurt referred to in her article posted on the Jacobstree website.

Nb I can't see Clara and family on the census returns. She married Henry/Harry Jacobs in 1881.
    The above data is taken from various family trees and I have yet to confirm the accuracy of the data hence my not referring to GRO Index records and other sources until I have verified them.
    Phillip

RDWard

Phillip
    No I haven't informed Dave Simpson - please could you do so as I'm not in current contact. I don't really understand the notice in the newspaper, but what is seems to imply is that if you, even if not specifically named, benefited in any way from the will of Angel Henry Jacobs, or any of these other wills, no matter where you are, then we are coming after you for compensation, although it doesn't seem to say why. It seems to bear some similarities to the present day US extradition treaty! Like you, I particularly liked the list of name changes. A legion of lawyers must have worked on it, and there must be a big wadge of documentation in a US archive somewhere which could be worth seeking out.
    Robert

Default ANGEL HENRY JACOBS 1819-1893

Robert
    I note that there is reference to Angel H Jacobs in New York newspaper articles dating from 1846 including a warranty of deed to him 22 August 1864 for a series of tracts of land purchased in New York. He also appears in 'The Occident and American Jewish Advocate Vol 5 No 10 Jan 1848 and in an early reference in 1847 regarding involvement in the new Bnai Jeshurun NY synagogue.
    I will see what else I can find regarding other Jacobs/Levy etc.
    Phillip

Default LAWRENCE HENRY JACOBS ALIAS LAWRENCE HANRAY

Robert
    I have looked at Lawrence Henry Jacobs alias Lawrence Hanray cited in the 1906 NY Newspaper article. He was the son of Angelo Jacobs and Leah Nathan. The GRO Index Births record- Laurence Henry Jacobs June qtr 1874 Hampstead 1a 617. He disappears after the 1881 British Census but I note that there was a British Actor called Lawrence Hanray also known as Laurence Hanray 16 May 1874-28 Nov 1947 born London who appeared in a range of films in USA and England.There is no GRO Birth record for a Lawrence/Laurence Hanray b 1874 and I am wondering if Laurence/Lawrence Hanray and Laurence Henry Jacobs are one in the same. Shipping records show a Lawrence Hanray actor and a Lois Hanray actress arriving in England in 1923.

Do any other researchers have data on Lawrence/Laurence Hanray to confirm who his parents were and who was Lois?
    Phillip

Robert
    I suspect the NY newspaper article has opened up a lot more unknown relatives to the Jacobs and others. On Free BMD there is a Angel Jacobs Hanray died June qtr 1910 age 80 Paddington 1a 14; Lawrence Hanray has 2 marriage references and they maybe different people. The first marriage March qtr 1914 Birkenhead 8a 907 to Farnsworth. The other marriage is that of Lawrence Hanray the actor Sept qtr 1918 to Lois Grace Heatherley Paddington 1a 182.
    Lawrence Hanray death Dec qtr 1947 age 73 Marylebone 5d 276.
    There is the birth record for Ursula S E Hanray - mother's maiden name Heatherley Oct qtr Paddington 1a 369 1923.
    This record the 1927 Shipping Passenger record for Lawrence Hanray actor 53 English and Lois Grace Hanray wife 35 b New Ferry?
    There is a 1928 shipping passenger record for Lawrence Hanray 54; Ursula Hanray 4; Lois Hanray 36.

Interestingly, there is also a Probate Record for Lois Margaret Heatherley of Ryecroft Manor Road Cheadle Hume Cheshire single woman died 24 Dec 1934. Probate to-Herbert John Shelley HM Inspector of schools and Lois Grace HAURAY wife of Lawrence HAURAY - effects £7838 18s 3d- it looks as if Hauray is an error and should read Hanray.
    The only Free BMD birth record I can see for Lois Heatherley is June qtr 1863 Marylebone 1a 413 but she marries in 1886.
    The 1911 census does have a Lois Heatherley age 19 boarder ( I can't open up the census return hence my not putting a reference until I can see further details)

I think that all this data reinforces what you first discovered regarding the Lewis line and relatives having no knowledge of their real roots.
    Phillip

RDWard

Phillip
    Wikipedia: Laurence Hanray (16 May, 1874 - 28 November, 1947), sometimes credited as Lawrence Hanray, was a British film actor born in London, England. This is followed by a list of around 35 films dated 1930 to 1947.
    The Standard (London) Wednesday May 20th 1874, page 6: JACOBS - 16th, at Alexandra Road, St. John's-wood, the wife of Angelo Jacobs, of a son.
    Same date.
    Robert

RDWard

The Times Wednesday September 22nd 1937
    The funeral of Mr C Heatherley Lamb took place at the Golders Green Crematorium yesterday .... the mourners included:- Mrs Clifford Lamb (widow), Mrs H J Shelley (sister), Mr Lawrence Hanray, Mrs Lawrence Hanray (cousin), Mr Norman Hoather (nephew) ... followed by new paragraph with 13 theatrical names.

Mrs (but not Mr) Lawrence Hanray also attended John Galsworthy's funeral in 1933.

RDWard

Ursula Hanray was a child actress - several entries in The Times, e.g. 18th November 1935 discusses that year's pantomimes including Alice Through The Looking Glass at The Little Theatre. "Miss Ursula Hanray, a daughter of Mr Lawrence Hanray, will be in the name part". Another 1920s travel record shows her as Ursula Susan Hanray.
    Also The Times, March 4th 1978, London Weekend TV 12.45 (at night) Ursula Hanray reads a poem by Frances Cornford.

RDWard

Both marriages appear to be the same Lawrence Hanray. Re the first one to Dorothy M C Farnsworth in 1914, see National Archives index:

Source: The Catalogue of The National Archives
    Court for Divorce and Matrimonial Causes, later Su... J 77/1231/7464
    Divorce Court File: 7464. Appellant: Dorothy Mary Chambers Hanray. Respondent: Lawrence Hanray. Type: Wife's petition for restitution of conjugal rights [WRCR]. . Divorce Court File: 7464. Appellant: Dorothy Mary Chambers Hanray. Respondent: Lawrence
    Date: 1916

Court for Divorce and Matrimonial Causes, later Su... J 77/1299/9679
    Divorce Court File: 9679. Appellant: Dorothy Mary Chambers Hanray. Respondent: Lawrence Hanray. Type: Wife's petition for divorce [wd]. . Divorce Court File: 9679. Appellant: Dorothy Mary Chambers Hanray. Respondent: Lawrence Hanray. Type: Wife's petition Date: 1917

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast