Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lawsue

Default Anzac Day 25th April 1915

Today we in Australia and New Zealand remember our fallen.
    My Grandad landed at Gallipoli, was wounded on the same day. He eventually returned to his home, medically unfit. One year later he re-enlisted, was accepted but only lasted 4 weeks. Medically unfit. He had another go for WW2. Medically unfit.
    So to all the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of servicemen on this forum. We will AWAYS remember them.

Regards
    Sue

Allanah

To all our fallen Diggers. We will remeber them.

Allanah

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

I have just returned from our local service,I am in awe of the sacrifice these men made.My namesake,Eric Gentle Roy,died at Lone Pine,his body was never recovered.
    Lest We Forget,
    Eric

Mutley

It is a bank holiday here in Portugal on the 25th April.

The Carnation Revolution was a peaceful, bloodless, military-led coup which took place
    on April 25, 1974, in Lisbon, and changed the Portuguese regime from a dictatorship to a democracy.

Though no one died, the Portuguese will also, always remember this day, as the one when they gained their freedom.

It is an important historic day for many countries and one not to be forgotten.

The poppy and the carnation denote the remembrance, wish I could find a picture of them, side by side.

lawsue

Eric,
    Have you a copy of "Spriits of Gallipoli" by Kim Philli[ps. She has done a wonderful job researching the fallen at Gallipoli. I am sure your namesake would have a mention in her work. I guess your namesake enlisted from the West. Mine enlisted from Kalgoorlie along with most of the other young men in the area. Mostly all were miners. At least I got to know him.
    Sue

lawsue

Thank you Mutley for that.
    I didn't know that history. Yes it is an important day.
    Sue

louann

Yes, I've just returned from our local Anzac Day march and it was wonderful to see the huge number of locals attending. I remember my grandfather Thomas, who signed up in 1915, and was sent to Pozierres on the Western Front. He survived that hellhole for four years and returned in 1919. Sadly, his 15 year old son joined in 1915 also but was killed at Fleurs after only 5 days at the Front. Lest We Forget.
    Louann

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Sue,
    There is also a website by Kim Phillips.
    www.
    spirits-of-gallipoli.com/index.htm
    Eric was from Birregurra in Victoria.
    Eric

lawsue

Eric,
    My hubby and I have met Kim on 2 occasions. She is so knowledgable on that subject. She also found a photo of my husbands uncle for us. He died at 2nd battle of Bullecourt in 1917 as did his brother 2 days earlier. We never knew what he looked like as no-one in the family had a photo of him. So after 95 years, there he was.
    If you ever get the opportunity to go to one of her talks, take it.
    Sue

lawsue

Louann,
    Could you imagine a 15 year old doing that today.......I don't think so.
    Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast