Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ron Ravenscroft

Question ravenscroft hall

Hi, can anyone help ??
    I am researching the name ravenscroft--not people--just the name
    also ravenscroft hall, in the now deleted village of ravenscroft, now
    called Byley, Nr middlewich . cheshire
    who was the first owner and where did they move from.

there is so many differant theorys, I would like to get the true facts
    if possible, -------ANY Ideas!!!!!

Thanks Ron Ravenscroft

jane.harrison.9

There's a little bit of information here https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/ravenscroft.html

Lesley

Ron Ravenscroft

Hi-- Jane
    Many thanks for a very quick reply. Yes, I have all this, I am looking for
    date of build, and who first owner -- so I can connect which Ravenscroft was
    involved,
    Thanks again Ron Ravenscroft

Ron Ravenscroft

Hi-- Lesley,
    Many thanks for your very quick reply, I got some info, which I thank you,
    Looking for date of build, and first owner, so I can connect with the Ravenscroft
    who was involed. thanks again

Ron Ravenscroft

Jan1954

Hello Ron,

You have not said, but have you enquired of the Lancashire Records Office at all?

I realise that Ravenscroft Hall is in Cheshire but, according to Access to Archives, Deeds, estate papers and correspondence of the E.H. Moss Trust (Moss appearing to be one of the families of Ravenscroft Hall) have been deposited with the Lancashire Records Office. Perhaps there could be clues therein. Have a look here.

Also, the Land Registry should be able to trace back in their archives as to the history of the hall.

Just a couple of thoughts....

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ravenscroft
    Looking for date of build, and first owner, so I can connect with the Ravenscroft who was involed. thanks again
    According to English Heritage,(quite nice photo of the house) - 'twas built 1837 with 1877 additions.

Have you tried a search of the 1841 census to see who was living there then? (I would imgaine someone who had just built the property would still want to be living in it four years later).

A search of Access to Archives for catalogued references to Ravenscroft Hall 1800-1850 shows some names who may have been the owners?
    (As Jan mentioned, Edward Howard Moss seems to be connected with it).

*bunty*

From a quick bit of digging it seems the Moss family did not occupy Ravenscroft Hall until sometime between 1851 and 1861. They occupy the Hall in the 1861 census, with head of the house as Elkanah Moss (who is father to Edward Howard Moss). The are in the Hall still in 1891, with Edward's mother Hannah as the head, and Edward living there single and 40 years old. The Moss family are still in Lancashire in the 1851 census where Elkanah Moss is a Master Cotton Spinner.

I am yet to find the Ravenscroft Hall occupants for earlier censuses, but will keep digging.

Edited to add: it appears Elkanah Moss was a magistrate in Cheshire, and was buried 22 Apr 1871.

*bunty*

In 1851 Ravenscroft census there is one page, and even though the Hall isn't mentioned, I suspect the occupiers are Fanny and Ann Wade (both listed as 'daughter') with no head listed. They have 5 servants so I am guessing this is the Hall. Fanny is listed as from Dublin, and Anne from Marylebone, Middlesex. In 1841 these two sisters are living in St Sidwell, Devon with it appears their parents Thomas and Anne Wade (both born Ireland). Still have to find who was in Ravenscroft in 1841.

*bunty*

Rightio then, found Ravenscroft Hall in 1841. Living in Ravenscroft Hall were William Buchanan of Ireland, and his wife Eliza (assuming his wife) of Cheshire. They have a whole swag of hired help including a guilder - perhaps putting finishes touches on the house. So, give the house was built 4 years earlier, it may have been William Buchanan who built it. It appears he was born abt 1796, and his wife 1801ish. Cenus reference is Class: HO107; Piece 121; Book: 26; Civil Parish: Middlewich; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: ; Page: 3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast