Loves to help with queries

Cool CREDITON PARISH RECORDS

William Hembley married Wilmet Sanders on 26 March 1744 in the Crediton Parish of Devonshire. I have that much information but nothing to prove it. Can't find anything on the actual parish records on the two films I have looked at from the LDS Film Library. Any suggestions, hints, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I looked at the entry on the IGI and it says that it's an extracted record. Extracted records are usually reliable (transcription errors not withstanding ), as in 'they exist'; submitted records are sometimes figments of the submitters' imagination.
    The relevant film number is 0917184, which is for 'Parish register transcripts, 1558-1843' which then breaks down into 'Baptisms 1813-1843 Marriages 1558-1785'.
    The other film number listed on the new FamilySearch site 0917185 is again Parish register transcripts, covering Marriages 1785-1837 and Burials 1557-1654, so it definitely won't be on that one.

Logic says it has to be somewhere on film 0917184, unless they've put the wrong parish on the film. Have you still got the film available to view? If so check to see if you can find any of the following marriages:
    John Ableton to Mary Wanacott 24 Aug 1762
    Richard Bedford to Grace Seage 19 Jun 1768
    Philip Burgoin to Elizabeth Martin 22 Oct 1744
    James Connaway to Joan Saunders 21 Feb 1747
    If you can't find any of them on the film then the LDS have put the wrong parish on that film. (Yes, it does happen.)

Remember though, that the entries are (allegedly, as I haven't seen the film) only transcripts and not the actual parish register.
    If you've already returned the film then you have two options.
    For something like two US dollars the LDS will send you a copy of the (transcript) entry. Can't remember the precise details - think you have to apply to Salt Lake City - but I think your local FHC will be able to tell you.
    Alternatively, for a few dollars more, apply to Devon Record Office for a copy of the entry in the parish register. https://www.
    devon.gov.uk/record_office.htm

Pam

Thomasin

Contact the Devon Family History Society. They are very helpful - although it looks as if your query might be a little too early for their records which seem to start ten years later.

However, if you look up 'Parish Registers in the Devon Record Office', this shows the records starting from 1558.

Pam beat me to it, and with much more info!

Loves to help with queries

Yes, films returned long ago. Shall try all other recommendations. Thanks.