Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notifications

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Default Notifications

I've been a member for some time, and have relied on email notifications comng through on threads I have subscribed to, rather than logging in to check to see if replies have been posted.

I have noticed that, recently, I have not been getting email notifications to subscribed threads. I checked my account settings, and couldn't see how to check that all was set correcty. So I emailed FWR support.

I have received a prompt reply, which tells me that I will only get ONE notification when I subscribe to a thread, and then will only receive subsequent notications after I have logged on again and viewed the thread.

Now I know that I have gone long periods without logging on to BG (I was a student for a while and had to put my FH research on hold) and I know that I received notifications by email during that time, when new posts were added.

After all, isn't that the point of receiving notifications? It does away with having to log on to check?

Am I wrong?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Am I wrong?
    I wouldn't have thought so. There were times when we received emails for every reply to a post in one fell swoop. Or am I halucinating?

I have days in my life when it's not possible to log onto every site one is a member of just in the hope of a new reply. I don't join forums to see my name in print, but to assist if possible others on same forum.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

You can elect to have notifications individually or in a weekyl 'digest', I think.

Now, thinking about this, I suppose it is 'natural' to log on and visit the thread that one is interested in once a notification has been received (which is what I have just done), and this is apparently what reactivates notifications.

Just a bit surprised that, if I choose not to log on (after all, I can read the post on the email notification), then I won't get further notifications.

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Newman View Post
    You can elect to have notifications individually or in a weekyl 'digest', I think.
    Where does one make this election please? I would like to stop receiving notifications which I didn't elect to receive.

maggie

To solve this issue (which occurred when there was a server move) and I hope this is correct

Click on Quick Links
    select User CP
    On left hand side there a link for General Settings
    Scroll down to Default Thread Subscription
    For No emails - select Do Not Subscribe
    For emails - select Instantly/Daily/Weekly as required
    Or you can have it to notify you when you log on to the forum

Or you can use Thread Tools at the top of the thread. click on that and you should see a list of options. Click on Unsubscribe from this thread and you should find that Robert is your father's brother.

Edited to add:
    As soon as my finger clicked on post reply I realised that my cute little colloquialism might not be understood by everyone as it seems to have fallen out of favour in the last 20 years. I was trying to be funny and wrote "Robert is your father's brother" instead of saying "Bob's your uncle" which is an expression used to signify that everything should work perfectly and be crystal clear from now on...

Goodness me! I do get myself into some wordy pickles don't I? the explanation took longer than the phrase.
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 27-05-2013 at 9:49 PM. Reason: I am a nitwit sometimes
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

I too use 'Robert's...', so no confusion there!

However, I am still confused over notifications. I have checked my accounting settings and they are as Neil suggests 'email- instantly'.

I received Waitabit's post (presumably because I started the thread, and hers was the first post).

I received Margarita's (presumably because I logged on to read Waitabit's).

I have not received Neil's. I deliberately left it a while before I logged on.

I have just logged on, and Ladkyis' post popped into my email in-box.

So it is not 'instant', but hit and miss. Well, actually, as FWR support say, only if one logs on, and then only the very last one, it seems.

And yes, I have checked my spam folder.

It concerns me that I may leave a post on a member's query, and that member may, for example, request clarification, and it will appear that I am ignoring them, unless I constantly log on.
    Last edited by Karen Newman; 28-05-2013 at 5:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Techie Admin is trying to understand how this is happening and we believe it is something within the software - it is very dark and sinister back there in the inner workings of the forum. I do know that I rarely got immediate notification of answers on subscribed threads before the server move. Since the move I have been notified about every single thread I have ever made answer to so I have had to go through and gradually unsubscribe myself from all but those that have relevance.
    TA is searching for a solution but we don't know how long he will be in there.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Thank you, Ladkyis.

I'm happy that the techs are looking into this. I haven't had much joy using FWR support.

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Newman View Post
    Thank you, Ladkyis.

I'm happy that the techs are looking into this.
    Me, too. I started getting the instant notifications which bunged up my email box just when I was managing to get it sorted to reasonable proportions, so I changed the settings, but it's been very hit and miss since then.

Also, when I was sent a pm, I didn't get the usual pop-up when I next logged on. Luckily I knew it was coming and was on the look-out for it, but I would have missed it otherwise and probably been taken for someone dragged up in the gutter, with no manners whatsoever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast