euryalus

Default Railway Records on Ancestry

I read somewhere that there is a fairly significant problem with some of the records on Ancestry, in that one of the Pre-Grouping companies involved has been wrongly identified. However, I cannot remember which one - does anyone know anything about this?

euryalus

I've just found the alleged mistake, which, if it is true, is serious. It appears that RAIL 226/226, which is recorded as "a Great Central Railway staff register", is in fact a Great Eastern salaried staff register covering the period 1910-1919.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by euryalus View Post
    I've just found the alleged mistake, which, if it is true, is serious. It appears that RAIL 226/226, which is recorded as "a Great Central Railway staff register", is in fact a Great Eastern salaried staff register covering the period 1910-1919.
    It would be an understandable error on Ancestry's part, as this particular register is apparently among Great Central Railway Company records at the National Archives.

Series RAIL 226 at the National Archives is labelled 'Great Central Railway Company' in their catalogue.

However, the individual description for piece RAIL 226/226 points out that 'this document relates to staff employed on the Great Eastern Railway'.