shellfish

Lightbulb What info would narrow my search?

Hi all,

I am hoping to begin looking for military records for my Great Grandfather. I will be meeting with my Grand Mother and Great Uncle (his children) in the next few days and wondered what information would help narrow my search better?

My G Grandfather's name is Thomas Jones (there was a lot of them in the army in WW1)
    I know his date and place of birth and believe he may have served in the Battle of The Somme in France and that he may have had something to do with looking after the horses at some point.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of searching through the military records and what information helps the most in making sure that you find the right family member? For example, do I need his regimental number or name of the regiment etc? Or can he be found without these.

I'm sure the answer will be to collect as much info as possible, but if there's anything specific I should ask about, I would be most grateful if someone could try steering me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Shellfish. x

Jan1954

Hi Shellfish,

Knowing which part of the army would be a great help, even if you do not know his regimental number.

But have a look here to see the sort of records that could be available to you.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

It should also be remembered, that about 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed during WW2, due to bombing raids.

Here's wishing yours are in the 40% saved.

If he had any medals that survive, his name rank and regiment and number should be engraved on the sides.

Steve.
    Last edited by stepives; 17-04-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: more info

Reputation beyond repute

I would be most grateful if someone could try steering me in the right direction.
    You will want to be familiar with the contents of this Guide and the related guides referenced in the document.

Note that if your ancestor survived the war relatively unscathed such that he didn't receive a pension (most survivors didn't receive a pension), you have no more than a 20-25% chance of a successful search for a service record.

For identification, you know when and where he was born. The place where the family were living at the time would be useful. You need to obtain certificates of any BMD events involving your ancestor that might have taken place during the war.

Coromandel

Hello shellfish

Here are a few ideas for things you could ask your grandmother and great-uncle.

In an ideal world, your relatives may have a box of treasures complete with medals, cap badge, soldier's discharge papers, letters, newspaper cuttings, etc. which would help you pick out the right Thomas Jones from all the others in any surviving army records.

If he was serving in the army at the time of his marriage or any of his children's births you should get some clues as to rank/regiment from the relevant birth or marriage certificates. Ask your relatives if they have any such papers, as it's much cheaper to copy theirs than send off for official copies yourself.

Ask if there are any photos of him in uniform.

Any clues about when he joined the army (did he volunteer or was he conscripted?), how long he was away, whereabouts he went, whether he was injured . . .

Other more general information may turn out to be invaluable, such as the address where the family lived during the war.

It would also be useful to have a copy of his signature, so that you can compare it with those on any likely sets of army records.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

shellfish

Wow! Firstly, I just wanted to say a massive thank you to every one's replies. I have already started reading through the links which were added in Jan1954 and Peter Goodey's responses and they are helping too. Thank you also to everyone for reminding me just how realistic I should be in searching for these records. It never occurred to me that (of course, seems obvious now!) WW2 could have destroyed so many of the WW1 records. I feel like I under estimated this challenge slightly.

However, there are a lot of positives to take from this:
    I know Thomas' address at the time that he would have been in the army.
    There is a picture in my parents house of him in his army uniform.
    I can find out when all of his children were born and when he married in case this info could be found on birth/marriage certificates.
    Although his children fell out when he passed away (mainly over who would have the medals and other such belongings) and my grandmother and great uncle got nothing because another sibling took the lot...I am now in contact with that sibling's grandchild through a popular family tree searching website (A***y) and perhaps they might be able to help, even if they could just describe the medals and what's written on them or take a photo of them etc.

So I'm still positive that I'll be able to narrow my search down massively compared with what I had previously. I'll be firing all sorts of questions at my grandmother and great uncle the next time I see them!

Thank you all again, this has really helped me feel a lot more organised and prepared now.

Regards
    Shellfish

Reputation beyond repute

I know Thomas' address at the time that he would have been in the army.
    Another possible line of enquiry is to go along to wherever the archive of the local electoral registers is held and look for the Absent Voters List (1918/1919). With luck you might find him together with a note of his regiment.

shellfish

Oooh, that's interesting Peter. I didn't even realise that such lists even existed! Really glad I asked on this site now. So many people with so many great suggestions. Thanks again for all the help.

Shellfish.