Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mary McDonald

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Mary McDonald

I am looking for a needle in a Haystack.

Mary McDonald married Alexander Bain on 17th Jan 1874 at The Register Office, Dover in Kent.
    She is 27 years, residing then at 12 Dolphin Lane, Dover. Her father was John McDonald (deceased) Farm Labourer.
    The only other record we have for her is when their daughter Elizabeth Robina was born on 25th Feb 1876 and it records mother Mary Bain formerly McDonald.

Alexander Bain remarries at the end of 1880. Alexander was a sergeant in the Royal Fuisillers and has moved around a lot.

Would a register office wedding make an Irish connection less likely?
    Would the term farm labourer be more favoured in Scotland as opposed to Ag Lab?
    Any suggestions welcome.
    ELMA
    Last edited by Elma; 18-04-2012 at 3:36 PM. Reason: Wrong address

Thanks Notanotherminer
    No clues there. Alexander married three times and one wife is mentioned but not the first Mary McDonald. Alexander has been found on all census but Mary marries him in 1874 and dies before the end of 1880!
    Oh dear.
    ELMA

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    I can't find Elizabeth Robina's 1876 birth.
    Here:
    Elizabeth Robina BAIN, Colchester registration district, March quarter 1876, volume 4a, page 361.

Quote Originally Posted by Elma
    Alexander was a sergeant in the Royal Fuisillers and has moved around a lot.
    This is certainly born out by Elizabeth's birth being registered in Colchester as there was/is quite a large army barracks there.

I have had a look for Mary BAIN's death under BAIN and variants, but cannot see any that might match up, using her age at her marriage as a guide.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    I have had a look for Mary BAIN's death under BAIN and variants, but cannot see any that might match up, using her age at her marriage as a guide.
    I couldn't see her either.
    A long shot - Fam search has a death Jan - Mar 1880 Mallow (Ireland) of a Mary Bain b 1846.
    In the 1881 census for Alex Bain there is a child in the regiment b 1879 Ireland so I suppose it could be a possibility.

Mutley

I am not sure where I am going with this, I clicked on lots of records and completely lost myself so I am probably barking up the wrong tree but..
    Alex was born in Scotland and there are several with his name in the Scotland census.
    One family seems to be connected with the Mcdonalds, I started with Catherine, a servant but ended up with an 18 year old Mary E D Mcdonald in the 1871 census. It says she was born in India and her father was William but I am not sure about that, I cannot see the original and there are two families. The William seems to have a younger daughter also called Mary. There appears to be a possible Catherine as a mother without a spouse or maybe even two mothers!!

I am not sure of the reference, it is in Ross and Cromarty. ED1, Schedule 86, Page 15, Line 24 if anyone can check the original and find out if they are connected to the Bain family. Another long shot, I know.

Thanks everyone, you are all wonderful. Elizabeth Robina Bain was born on 25th Feb 1876 at The Camp, Colchester. The next child of Alexander Bain was also Alexander Bain born 1880 in Penally, so I am not sure about the census 1881. I have got to go and look for that. It thought he is by the second wife. Of to check the census now ELMA

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I couldn't see her either.
    A long shot - Fam search has a death Jan - Mar 1880 Mallow (Ireland) of a Mary Bain b 1846.
    In the 1881 census for Alex Bain there is a child in the regiment b 1879 Ireland so I suppose it could be a possibility.
    Griesel I am not sure I can work this out, which census is this?
    Elma

Famous for offering help & advice

It's in Pembrokeshire. Alexander is with his next wife plus Elizabeth and a newborn baby and the rest of his regiment. RG11 p 5410 f90 p12 (crown copyright in care of TNA)

However there is a two year old John McGowan, son of another soldier, and he is born Ireland. Which made me think that perhaps the regiment had been in Ireland when mary died. - As I said - a long shot!

Mind you there are also some children b Malta!

As a start we will send for the death certificate in Ireland. I will keep you posted. Little Alexander is recorded twice then.
    With thanks Elma
    Last edited by Elma; 18-04-2012 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Omission

Well you sent me in the right direction. I got the burials of Mary and a daughter Mary in Ireland as suggested and gravestone Inscriptions!
    Thank you, Thankyou.
    ELMA
    Now to find out her birth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast