Triplet

Lightbulb Details of inquests..

Does anyone know how I can get the details of inquests? My Great Great Grandad Henry Miller died after falling from the top deck of an omnibus on 25th October 1876 the inquest was held at the Royal Oak Public House Cheetham Hill Manchester.

MarkJ

You will find elsewhere on the forum, questions about inquests.
    In general, we usually suggest looking at the local newspapers of the time, who carried very detailed accounts of inquests (not like todays papers) and are usually easily located. Actual inquest papers are hard to track down - if indeed they exist still - and your best bet would be to contact the Coroners Office in the area in question to begin with.

But I would look in local papers from the time - I expect Manchester Central Library would have those and be able to help - especially since you know the day of his death.

Jan1954

Hi Triplet,

Start by having a read of this TNA research guide on Coronor's Inquests.

However, I have found more information in reports in local newspapers of the day. Have you checked out that line of enquiry at all?

Coromandel

Bad news I'm afraid . . . from an earlier thread on this forum, it sounds as if very few 19th century coroners' records survive for Manchester (with the exception of 1851-2).