Loves to help with queries

Default Elizabeth Dennis born 1843 Measham

For what I am looking for, not quite sure to post to Derbyshire forum or this one. The above was born (abt to send for b/c) what I think may be Ashby de la Z Dec 1/4 1843 15 17, to Mary Anne Dennis, who was not married at this time, and was baptised 7 January 1844, Measham with only mother (Mary Anne Dennis) mentioned on the IGI. Elizabeth (Elizh) is shown in the 1851 census, aged 7, living with her grand-parents, Francis and Hannah Dennis, Cross Lane, Measham. Her mother Mary Anne had married Alfred Norton in 1848. Could not find Elizabeth on the 1861 census so thought she may have died. Sent for a Mar 1/4 1856 d/c for an Elizabeth Dennis, Ashby. Wrong. This child was only 9 months old. No other later census match up with a Measham birth. Between 1861-1871 there are no marriages for an Elizabeth Dennis/Dennies/Denniss, Derbyshire (not to say she couldn't have married elsewhere) that I have been able to match up with possible spouse surnames, in the 1871 census. Not vital to my research/tree, but gee, I'd love to know, and if anyone can find her, I know they're out there in B-G land. With thanks .... LizzieB

janbooth

There is this possibility, Lizzie. GRO Index has a marriage in the June qtr 1860 at Burton on Trent reg district of an Elizabeth DENNIS - mother and stepfather were in Burton on Trent in 1861 census - to either a William LEE or a Robert TOMLINSON. 1861 census of Winshill, Derbyshire shows:

RG9/1967, folio 95, page 8
    Freehold Village

Robert TOMLINSON Head Mar 22 Brewer's Labourer Derbyshire Osmaston
    Elizabeth do Wife Mar 21 do Measham
    N K do Daur 6 days do Winshill
    Mary do Visitor 23 do Osmaston
    Alice do do 20 do do

Only problem is that her age is a bit out, and this Elizabeth appears to have died by the 1871 census as Robert is shown as a widower. Perhaps worth consideration though.

Janet

Census records courtesy TNA

georgiep

Hi
    Having trouble finding her in 1851 census, please can you post the link?
    Thank you

georgiep

Loves to help with queries

Thanks Janet, yes the age is out a bit, I would have thought by 1861 they would get the ages reasonably correct. If her, it would make her abt 16 when married. It's brekky time here but I'll look into your possibility later in the day. And I'm presuming by mother and stepfather being B o T 1861 you mean Mary Ann (Ann) and Alfred Norton? and
    georgiep: In the 1851 census Elizabeth has been transcribed from the original as Eliza Dennis(s). The original image shows Elizh
    Dennis(s). Francis Dennis(s) 62, Hannah Dennis(s) 63, Eliza Dennis(s) HO107; p. 2084; f.117; p17.

georgiep

Thanks for reply about 1851, I didn't look for her being a granddaughter aged 7yrs of Francis & Hannah.
    A poster in Anx has listed corrections in this census for surname.

Tinam