A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Default Transport Question

Not sure were to post this .

The period I am looking at is 1871/ 1875.
    The small Port of Charlestown shipped china Clay to the Port of Runcorn this at the time was a regular business.

It was during this time my GGrandfather a farm labourer (single) left Charlestown to seek his fortune in Runcorn.

My question is, as the railways were opening up to all corners of the country would it have been to expensive and difficult for him to have purchased a ticket on his labourers wages from the Charlestown area and travelled to Runcorn or would it have been more likely that he would have bought passage, again cost is the question, on one of the trading ships going up to Runcorn, or could he have worked his passge.

Thoughts on this question would be very much appreciated.

GeoffW

Jan1954

Hi Geoff,

As Charlestown was (and is) on the Cornish coast, having those trading vessels trundling up and down to Runcorn may well have put ideas into your chap's head. It seems rather coincidental that he tipped up in the same place that they were sailing to, so I would reckon that working his passage would be the most likely way for him.

Hello Jan1954

Thank you for you reply, I was going down the path of him working his passage up to this part of Heaven, but thought I would explore the other paths. As they say nothing ventured,nothing gained.

Many thanks for your help,very much appreciated as always.

GeoffW

MarkJ

I doubt you will ever solve this one for certain Geoff, but I would go with the same idea as Jan - that he worked his passage on one of the boats. It seems very much a coincidence that he went to Runcorn doesn't it?

They still ship clay from the area around Charlestown (although mostly from Par these days because Charlestown is more of a picturesque port for keeping tall ships and starring in various films!).

Hello Mark

Thank you also for your reply, I will go with the idea that he worked his passage to Runcorn.
    I have googled images of Charlestown and read up a bit about the area, it looks a very nice place.

What my Ggrandfather thought when he landed in Runcorn and saw the industries there and then looked across the river at the chemical industries of Widnes he must have thought he was one step from hades. Widnes in particular was not a very nice place to live in at that time.

Thanks again
    GeoffW