Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Shipping Route SS Tuscany

My Uncle was an Engineer on the David McIver Line Ship SS Tuscany in 1921 which sailed from Liverpool To The River Plate. Can any one tell me what was the actual route and Ports of call, for this Voyage

Stuman

I do not know what particular route a David McIver Line ship would have taken in 1921. I sailed a few times to the River Plate from London with Royal Mail Lines and our only stop was at Las Palmas in the Canaries to take on fuel. Those ships however were meat carriers so went out empty and came back loaded with chilled beef. Another route I did from London with general cargo stopped at Bahia, Rio de Janerio, Santos and Peurto Alegre all in Brazil.

Per theshipslist.com McIver Line was taken over by Royal Mail Lines in 1919 but run separately. The route given is Liverpool, Montevideo, Beunos Aires, Rosario.

Stuart

IanStockbridge

The Registrar of Seamen and Shipping, Cardiff, used to have a large number of ship movement cards. I believe these went to the PRO. The City of London Library also ave a large quantity of ship movement sheets and they are extremely helpful.

These cards are a record of arrival and departure dates of ships as reported to Lloyds of London. The sheets are very good but not 100% accurate as it excludes one of the ports that I visited in New Zealand. Could be that as it was a small pert they didn't have a Lloyds Agent.