Thread: Emma Godfrey

Knowledgeable and helpful

Smile Emma Godfrey

I am trying to find more information about Emma Godfrey and any help would be appreciated.

Emma was born in Street, Somerset around 1844. Her parents were John Godfrey and Sophia nee White.
    We have Emma on the 1851 census in Street, Somerset, living with her family.

Then Emma is next seen on the 1881 census living with her husband Ebenezer Pyrne and their children.
    Also on the 1891 and 1901 census in Ontario, Canada.
    In 1913 she arrives in Port Hurron, Michigan.
    I have a census for 1920 in Michigan, USA.

Emma Pyrne dies on 15th Jan 1933 in Michigan.

Family lore has it that Emma was sent to Canada as a bond servant.

We would love to fill in the gaps, any help would be appreciated.
    With thanks ELMA

birdlip

Hi Elma,

Family search lists another person whose parents were John GODFREY and Sophia WHITE. She died in Michigan in Oct 1908, looks like an older sister of Emma's;

Eliza G LINTON, widowed, died aged 79, Plainwell Vil, Allegan, Mi, born 1829, England.

and two of her children;

Mary LINTON Gilkey d 23 Nov 1934, born 01 Dec 1857 Toronto, parents John LINTON and Eliza GODFREY

John S LINTON d 27 April 1916 Ostego, Allegan Michigan age 61, born 1855 England, parents John LINTON and Elizie GODFREY.

If John was b in England and Mary in Toronto, there is a small window of two years between 1855-7, when John LINTON and Eliza nee GODFREY presumably emigrated.....possibly bringing Elizas little sister Emma with them? She would have been about 12.

birdlip

Freebmd marriages;

June 1853 John LINTON/ Eliza GODFREY Wells 5c 1077

birdlip

and this looks like John's birth;

Dec 1854 LINTON John Smith Wells 5c 567

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks Birdlip
    Yes Eliza was Emma's older sister. I have now seen the 1900 US census and I think it says she arrived in 1856, which would be after the marriage you pointed out. However you say Mary Linton their first child was born in Toronto in 1857. Emma may have gone with them to Canada as she was still in Canada in 1881!
    Thank you for your interest Birdlip.
    ELMA