hancock12

Default Hancocks of Taunton

Hi,

I am looking for any information regarding JOHN HANCOCK born around 1780 i suspect.
    I know he was a silk weaver and was married to MARY. He is my ggg grandfather.

The imformation I have is this...... My gg grandfather JOSEPH HANCOCK was born in approx 1814 in Taunton according to the census, JOHN HANCOCK was born 1823 Taunton. Then only record I have is for my gg grandads sister who was ELIZABETH HANCOCK born 1816. I have a copy of the parish record, The baptism was carried out in the parish of Wilton and it says that she is resident in Sherford, Taunton.

This leads me to suspect that the family were resident in Sherford from the early 1800`s, But i cant seem to find anymore records for JOHN HANCOCK, birth marriage or death. I am also unable to find him on any census records.

can anyone help me??? Please!!

jack66

hello, there are a number of john hancocks on ancestry site born approx 1780, in the 1841 census it shows a john hancock born in the parish of st. mary magdalens, Taunton, Somerset. unfortunatly it doesnt have any other names with him

janbooth

FreeReg shows the birth/baptism at St James Taunton on 1 September & 20th September 1807 of a Mary HANCOCK daughter of John & Mary - perhaps another sibling of Joseph? IGI Family Search has a Non-Conformist baptism on 26 August 1820 at Taunton of a John HANCOCK son of John & Mary.

Is your Joseph HANCOCK the one who was a Brickmaker, married to an Eliza, living in Cullompton, Devon in the census records? If so, FreeReg shows his marriage on 20 February 1837 at St Mary Magdalene, Taunton to an Eliza CRIDDLE, his parish being shown as Crediton, Devon. There is also a marriage at the same church on 16 October 1828 of a Mary HANCOCK & Henry APLIN who could be the Mary above.

FreeReg shows a marriage at St James, Halse on 22 February 1803 of a John HANCOCK & a Mary DONNE by licence, witnesses Richard DONNE & Robert HANCOCK which could perhaps be relevant to you as Halse is pretty close to Taunton although there is a John HANCOCK aged 65, Malster & Farmer, in the 1841 census of Halse so perhaps not.

Aah, now this could be relevant to you. Family Search have a Non-Conformist baptism on 5 May 1778 at Taunton of a John HANCOCK, parents Joseph & Mary. Given that your gggrandfather was named Joseph this could be worth further investigation. Two other baptisms to this couple on the same date, that of a James HANCOCK & a Mary HANCOCK.

Janet

hancock12

Thanks for your help Janet, Yes Joseph Hancock the brickmaker is a relative of mine. I am interested in the information you found on Mary born 1807 this does look like another sibling for joseph and I will be investigating this further.

Les