Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bessie mapp ?

ginahewitt13

Default bessie mapp ?

hi all,
    Im new to this finding relatives but ive been given the task by my family to find out what happened to my great-great grandmother bessie mapp. basically my great granddad was adopted and we never knew where he came from, however ive managed to find his birth certificate which tells us he was born in derby in 1908 to a bessie mapp, no father is mentioned. Using ancestory we think we have found bessie mapp and her family . we believe she was born around 1881 in shropshire and we've followed her in the census until 1911.
    The sticking point to my research is what happened to her afterwards and where she died.
    I cannot find a death record that matches her birth age however we think she lived in london ( thanks to the electoral role) with a man with her surname,we cannot work out his relation to her. in addition on the 1911 census we have found another bessie mapp who was born in 1910 not far from my great-grandfather, the people she is living with were not realtives but we believe her mum was bessie mapp from the birth records, could this be a coincidence or are we jumping to conclusions?

any information on bessie mapp or how to further my research would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to let my family down.

Ken_R

1891 = RG12 Piece 2081 Folio 26 Page 21 - I presume!

Birth appears to be 1880 Q3 Market Drayton
    Last edited by Ken_R; 05-04-2012 at 6:41 PM. Reason: Additional info

Ken_R

The 1911 entry for the Mother of Bessie (born 1880) shows Esther Annie Mapp, 65 years, widow, Caretaker of Stables, 6 children, 3 still living, with Lizzie (aged 24) still single and living with her at Stables Old Field, Ludlow, Shrops.

RG14PN15868 RG78PN972 RD342 SD2 ED1 SN14

Jan1954

There is a death registered for an Esther A MAPP in the September quarter of 1927, Leigh registration district, volume 8c, page 209, aged 80 - which fits with her being 65 in 1911.

Ken_R

Just to see if it led anywhere, I tried following the elder sister, Eunice MAPP (abt 1879). Can't find her in 1911 but FreeBMD has a marriage Q2 1913, Ludlow 6a 1107. Possible with the mother residing Ludlow 1911?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by ginahewitt13 View Post
    we believe she was born around 1881 in shropshire
    There is a birth registration for a Bessie MAPP in the September quarter of 1880 (which would fit with the age on the censuses) in Market Drayton registration district (which straddles part of Shropshire), volume 6a, page 781

RayBuck

In November 21st 1925, Bessie Mapp was a Salvation Army Officer living at 63 Moresby Road Upper Clapton London, she returned to Liverpool from Montréal aboard the “Montcalm” her age was given as 60

In March 1928, Henry William Mapp age 57 & Bessie Mapp age 63 , sailed from Southampton arriving New York aboard the “ Aquitania” Bessie gave her Country of birth as England Henry India Bombay both were Salvation Army officers, they gave as the Mrs Brown, Hoton, nr Loughborough as Nearest Relative

ginahewitt13

Quote Originally Posted by RayBuck View Post
    In November 21st 1925, Bessie Mapp was a Salvation Army Officer living at 63 Moresby Road Upper Clapton London, she returned to Liverpool from Montréal aboard the “Montcalm” her age was given as 60

In March 1928, Henry William Mapp age 57 & Bessie Mapp age 63 , sailed from Southampton arriving New York aboard the “ Aquitania” Bessie gave her Country of birth as England Henry India Bombay both were Salvation Army officers, they gave as the Mrs Brown, Hoton, nr Loughborough as Nearest Relative
    thank you for all the posts every little bit is chipping away. Ray we were wondering how you found this information out and if you had the date of when she returned from montreal so we could check if it fits with her birth date. we have also found bessie still registered to vote in the hackney area after 1928 would it be likely she would have returned within the year or would they still be registerd to vote for a few years? thank you again .

RayBuck

As Bessie gave her age as 63 in 1928 her DoB is then circa 1865 which would suggest that this in not your Bessie,

the date of 21st November 1925 is the date she returned to Liverpool aboard the “Montcalm” sailed from Montreal

Bessie Mapp arrived in Canada Quebec aboard the “Montcalm” 17th July 1925 having sailed from Liverpool 10th July 1925, she was age 60 gaave her place of birth as Loughborough she stated that she had been in Toronto Ont. 1916 to 1920 , again she was a Salvation Army Officer , purpose of visit was to her Son 44 Quebec Avenue Toronto Ont: . Her nearest relative was given as Husband Comm. H. Mapp 101 Queen Victoria St London E.C 4

I would suggest that you collate the ships manifests on the ancestry web site (Immigration Collection) with the London Electoral register 1874 – 1965

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by RayBuck View Post
    . . . Her nearest relative was given as Husband Comm. H. Mapp 101 Queen Victoria St London E.C 4
    Commissioner Henry W. Mapp was appointed as Chief of Staff of the Salvation Army in 1929. There's a photo of him here:

https://www.
    scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10556478

The 1901 census index has a Henry W.L. Mapp, 31, born Bombay, Salvation Army Officer in Beckenham, Kent. FamilySearch shows other Mapp members of the household as wife Eliza (36, born Hoton, Leicestershire) and children Satza T. (8, b. Calcutta), Jai V. (6, b. Madras) and Kristo (4, b. Madras). Given Eliza's age and birthplace it seems likely she is the same person as the 'Bessie' Mapp found on the passenger lists.

There are many references online to Commissioner Mapp of the Salvation Army. Sometimes a wife is mentioned (for example a snippet of a history of the Salvation Army on Google Books says 'When Commissioner and Mrs Henry W. Mapp were appointed to Japan in 1914...'. They seem to have been a well-travelled pair!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast