Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AnnB

I'll keep everything crossed for you
    Best wishes
    Ann

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

I recieved the Clergy List I had ordered, but Moses-the-missionary is not in it anywhere, including the clergy list for Ireland. This leads me to conclude he had no formal training as a minister - surely if he had gone to the expense of a formal education, he would still have been in the ministry when he was in his 50's.

Were there any censuses in Ireland? If so, how can I access them?

I never heard back from James Wellwood, although the e-mail didn't bounce, so I suppose he must have filters on his incoming mail and it saw me as junk-mail... or maybe he's just away for the summer.

So I'm back to begging for help. Is there an on-line database for Belfast, anywhere?

Debbie

AnnB

Hello Debbie

Sorry to hear you drew a blank on James Wellwood - perhaps you ought to try one more time, I think I would I'm afraid I can't help with anything Irish, I've been avoiding my couple of Irish ancestors, but one day I might give them a go

Best wishes
    Ann

Have sent off another e-mail to James Wellwood, now that the summer is all but over. Wish me luck!

Recieved an e-mail from Jim Wellwood - and we are related! Not only that, but he has a twin brother who has an old family bible with names and dates recorded in it! Still have not found Moses-the-missionary, but hope to get information that will steer me towards a likely direction...

Thanks so much for the referral to him!

Debbie

AnnB

I'm really pleased for you Debbie - it certainly pays not to give up, doesn't it

With best wishes in the hunt for Moses the Missionary
    Ann

cdave151

Default Moses Wellwood, missionary in Africa

Have you made any further progress on Moses?
    I am researching his supposed son, John Wellwood b abt 1823 Belfast, d 03 Sep 1885 who married to
    Margaret Thomson on 03 Jun 1845 at Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.

I found a Belfast burial record on a Moses Wellwood: Clifton Street Cemetery (Belfast) 30 January 1852,
    age 70 of Asimatic Complaint, inmate of the Belfast Charitable Institution, born at Broomhedge, and came from Hillsboro, buried in Poor's ground.

I also found a burial record for Jane Wellwood, Clifton Street Cemetery, 18 January 1872, aged 74 of Bronchitis, servant, Belfast Charitable Society, native of County Antrim, buried in Stranger's ground

Jan1954

Hello cdave151 - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Although still a member, DebbieAnn has not visited the forum for about 18 months. However, if you wish to contact her direct, click on her user name on the left and a drop-down menu will appear. There is an option to send her a private message, which in turn should generate an email.

Quote Originally Posted by cdave151 View Post
    Have you made any further progress on Moses?
    I am researching his supposed son, John Wellwood b abt 1823 Belfast, d 03 Sep 1885 who married to
    Margaret Thomson on 03 Jun 1845 at Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.

I found a Belfast burial record on a Moses Wellwood: Clifton Street Cemetery (Belfast) 30 January 1852,
    age 70 of Asimatic Complaint, inmate of the Belfast Charitable Institution, born at Broomhedge, and came from Hillsboro, buried in Poor's ground.

I also found a burial record for Jane Wellwood, Clifton Street Cemetery, 18 January 1872, aged 74 of Bronchitis, servant, Belfast Charitable Society, native of County Antrim, buried in Stranger's ground
    Oh, thank you!! Moses is likely the father of the children I've found! I have John and Margaret's entire line, and am in touch with some of their descendants, if you need any info...

Debbie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12