Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mutley

Does that now make sense?
    Nope, not at all.
    I've totally lost it.

biological father of my dad was the older brother of the husband of his mother
    her parents informally adopted my dad
    my dad's parents never married
    8 years later my grandmother married the brother of the father of her son.

Are you saying there were 3 brothers, she was married to 1 but had an affair with 2 that produced your dad who was taken in by his grandparents and eight years later she married brother 3?

Colin Rowledge

Once again I'l try to explain:
    1918 - Alfred and Florence conceived a child - Alfred is the older brother.
    1919 - Florence gives birth - her parents informally adopt said child and raise as their own
    1919-1927 - Neither Alfred or Florence marry - but Alfred contributes to the cost of upbringing
    1927 - Reg. [Alfred's younger brother] marries Florence

and they all live happily ever after until 1950.

This aspect has nothing to do with what I wanted to develop on this thread, so I'm off to work on the resukts of what I've discovered since I started it yesterday. Maybe, I should have started it on April 1 since it now appears I'm makibg a fool of myself.

me

Colin

P.S. All I was attempting to do was respond to the last part of post 10 by judyg - in hindsight which is always 20/20, maybe I should have just not bothered.

Mutley

Sorry Colin, my fault, I got sidetracked.
    We will continue with Florence at a later date, elsewhere.

From hereon, refer to post #1

Colin Rowledge

The family that ocupied te residence on Palace Cout is well documented in my research.

Either side of their residence, were properties operating as boarding houses. Each one in 1911 appears to be quite decently full and with the construction going on around the area [as noted in some psots] it is possible that those landlords asked my family to take on a few of the overflow. As a result, there probably is no connection to the 3 men that were residents. As the eldest son, Alfred, is indicated as age 14 and an Electrical Engineer, obviouslty this a bit of an over-statement. As Chris Doran mentions, he could been at the School he mentions, but if this was a private school, it may have been beyond the means of the family. If he wasn't there, then he could have been an apprentice at one of the local firms contracted to work on the project he mentions and the older boarder helped with some mentoring.

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post

Colin,
    Dont know if this is the Grace in question:

Birth: Grace Elizabeth Price Dec q 1887 Bridge, Kent 2a 815
    (Bridge 5 miles from Canterbury)

4 possible marriages for the above:

Walter E Allen 1920 West Ham
    Ernest H Gough 1920 Blean, Kent
    Edward T Andrews 1920 Edmonton
    George A Clement 1925 Milton, Kent

If you recognise any of the names, I'll gladly dig deeper for you!

Rebecca
    As I mentioned earlier, none of the names rang any bells. Of the 4 marriages, the one in Blean is interesting me the most. Blean is very close to Canterbury where father was an Assistant School Master at Kings School.

I am in the process of following this particular scenario and will advise further.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Now for the drivel that I have developed on Grace Elizabeth Price.

She was born in Oct.-Dec. q. 1887 in Bridge R.D.in Kent. Her parents were William George and Georgiana Price - nee Davy. Her parents married in Hoxne, Suffolk in the Jul.-Sep. q. 1886.

William George was the son William Lalta and Elizabeth Maria Price. I have not been able to find a marriage for them in England. His father, William L. was a Clergyman and William G. was born in Bombay, India about 1853. Given his choice of career it would appear that his parents were quite afflent and that he had a very good education

Georgiana was the youngest daughter of John and Sarah Davy. Her parents also appear to be affluent and were the operaors of a large farm - [in excess of 250 acres] - at the time of her marriage to William G. Her father employed 10 males on the farm + 2 house servants. By the time Georgiana was in her early teens she was being educated along with her elder sister at a small, private, all-girls school in Norfolk. After leaving school, she returned home to her parents and it was from there that she married William G.

From the time of her birth, she appears on the 1891 and 1901 census with her parents and younger siblings, living close by the school which would appear to be a Private school and was attended by children of the 'rich or famous' calbre.

So how and why was she with my family in 1911, given her background? A possible answer to the why? was gleaned from the 1911 census in Canterbury for her parents. The household at 75 St. Peters Lane, Canterbury, shows William G. and Georgiana, a younger sister of Grace E. a visitor from Wingfield, Suffolk which was close to where Georgiana was born, a 25 year old male student studying Emglish from Prussia and -- William G.'s parents from India who now were retired and in their 80's. These folks may have resented the fact that Grace E. was in the same house as a single male.

Regardless of the reason, though, is the HOW? How did she end up there?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

A little more detail of events after the census of 1911.

In the Jul.-Sep. q. 1911 in Canterbury R.D., the death of an Elizabeth M. Price was recorded. Her age at death matches the age of Grace E.'s mother.

It is possible that at age 60 [1913] William G. retired and he, his wife and father moved to Blean, which is near Canterbury.

In the Oct.-Dec. q. 1914 a death in Blean is recorded of a William Price aged 84. This is slightly out as he should be aged about 89 if the 1911 census is correct.

Some time after this Grace E. returns to her parents in Blean and then marries.

In the Apr.-Jun. q. 1921 in Blean, a death is recorded of a Georgiana Price. The age at death supports her being Grace E.'s mother.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

The age of marriage of Georgina Davy at age 30 in 1886 is consistent with the ages of her siblings at home in 1881:
    Caroline - unmarried - age 26
    Ellen - unmarried - age 24

Could 'daddy' have wanted to ensure good matches for his daughters?

Famous for offering help & advice

There are a lot of trees with Grace in them on Ancestry....why don't you contact one of the tree owners for your information as she married and had a family. It would certainly save speculating.

Sue

Colin Rowledge

Hi Sue -
    Been there, done that and am now waiting.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by judyg View Post

Alfred was definitely not rolling in money when he died.

Cheers
    Judyg
    For those who may be inerested in Alfred after 1911 census:

By 1914 the family had vacated the premises at 16 Palace Square, Penge and were residing at 60 Franklyn Road, Willesden. It was from that address that their eldest son joined the military in November 1915. To that address he returned at the end of the war. It was rhe same address that their youngest son married in 1927. The marriage certificate indicates Alfred's occupation as a bus conductor and he was aged 61. It was from the same address that he was admitted to Twyford Lodge [as noted location of death on certificate] where he died aged 69 on May 5, 1936.

Yes, the financial circumstances seemed to change, but for at least 22 years he and his wife Ellen were able to afford to live in the same residence. I would love to know more about the intervening years but as the whole family is now dead, that seems most unlikely

Colin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast