Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    David Annis

Default Susan OVER - 7 Years Transportation.

In 1838 Susan Over was convicted of stealing a pocket book, value 6p, hankerchief, value 6p and 20 sovereigns. She was sentenced to 7 years transportation. Susan was 16 years old in 1838.
    Poor Susan arrives on the shores of New South Wales on 13th May 1839. She was on board a ship called "Planter".
    I hate to think what she had to suffer, as a single young girl on board ship or how she would have been treated as a convict in Australia. I do hope Susan survives.
    If anyone has the time to spare could you look and see if young Susan Over has a happy ending to her story.
    Cheers
    Dave,

David Annis

Sorry, I have given Susan the name of Overs, in fact her name is Susan Over.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by David Annis View Post
    Sorry, I have given Susan the name of Overs, in fact her name is Susan Over.
    Cheers
    Dave.
    Have changed the thread title for you.

Her certificate of freedom in New South Wales is dated 30 August 1845. As well as confirming that she was born in 1822 and sentenced at the Central Criminal Court in 1838, it states that she was five foot and three quarters of an inch tall, of a fair ruddy complexion with brown hair and hazel eyes. Her forehead was pock pitted and she had a pock pit under her right eye, a scar under her right nostril, a long scar over her left eyebrow and a raised mole on the right side of her neck.

Her ticket of leave dated December 1842 says she was granted leave to remain in the District of Bathurst
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

The NSW Convict Indents record states that she could read (but not write) and was a "Washerwoman (not laundress)" Do you think that was to make clear that she didn't follow the oldest profession, for which laundress was often a euphemism?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

spison

Hi David
    There is a baptism for an Isabella OVER in 1842 with parents William and Susan (V18422418 26A/1842). This is church baptism rather than a birth registration so information will be limited to church location, denomination etc. It may prove to indicate an illegitimate birth. I am happy to read the actual record for you to see if it is possibly her. I can't see my way clear to do it anytime soon but it is on my list. I look at these records all the time for my research. Susan herself as Over or Overs can't be found anywhere on NSW BDM. It may be that she never married or her marriage record is in the registers that are missing from these early records. I will look at TROVE.
    Jane

spison

Only one reference turned up on a first search, From The Colonist: 20 Nov 1839 page 3:

A convict servant, named Susan Over, was committed some time since to take her trial for perjury, committed in the Police-office. Her case has been sent back to the same Bench to be deabt with, and she is now at large in the same service as when she committed the perjury. How is this ?

There could be further references on TROVE but they will be more difficult to find. Could someone who can access the Ancestry Gaol description books please look to see if she ever went to gaol for anything?
    Jane

lawsue

Hi
    My goodness Jane you are quick. I'll have to get out of bed earlier in future. I was just about to post the baptism info, but you got there first. I can't find your Jane either David but will look on Trove as well later on today.
    Sue

David Annis

Thank you all for taking your time out to look for Susan. If you would like to read the case, then google, Central Criminal Court eighth session 1838. Susans case is no.1409. I see that she left these shores on the 29th Oct 1838. Heck, three and a half months at sea.
    Susan was a servant of Warwick Bagley, her master. It looks like he had no qualms in turning her over to the law and giving evidence at the Old Bailey against her.
    Cheers
    Dave.

judyg

There are several entries for permission to marry for Susan Over. Groom Thomas Summers. This was granted in 1840. There is a marriage for Thomas Summers to Susan OWEN in 1840 at St. John’s Church Parramatta.

Cheers
    Judyg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast