terrysfamily

Default Hereford Archives

Yesterday I visited the Hereford Archives. Have wanted to go there for ages, but why I should pick a day when there was snow and gales to drive there him up stairs only knows.

I must say the help and experience I received there has been the best so far (BG forum excluded). If you ask for help, they can't wait to show you were to look and quite often help you find what your looking for. believe it or not sometimes I can be quite a dumb bum.

I went in the hope that I could return a favour to another of our BG family. Not really a success though. The information I found only corroborated what they already knew. Hate to find nothing of any use, it makes me feel like I've been no use at all.

I also had one lookup to do on my family. Wasn't really expecting anything to come of it though as all I had was a marriage date and names taken from the GRO register. The other archives I have visited always say they can't really help as they don't work with GRO references and that if I can tell them which area the marriage took place in I should look at those registers.

All I had was

Violet J. Pressdee married Thomas P.O. Jones ..Hereford, Herefordshire June 1/4 1952 ..9a-102

Well Hereford registration district isn't a small place.

I asked the question and got a surprise. they have it all on computer. You put in a name and up pops the information.

Violet J. Pressdee married Thomas P. Jones 18 Jun 1952 Hereford Register Office, Herefordshire.

A very well done to whom ever transcribed all the records.

This post is a sort of 'pat on the back' for the folks at Hereford Archives. Great job guys.

Terry

David Annis

I also had the pleasure of visiting Hereford R/O last year. I found the same frendly help and advice. I also was very thankfull that this delightfull place also had the records I needed for parts of Shropshire. One extra bonus, no parking fee's.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Jan1954

Terry - I have yet to visit a Records Office or Archives where the staff have not been friendly and helpful. Okay, so some are more so than others, but....

Well done to the Hereford Archives!

Hollytree

i have often wondered how the staff at Record Offices do keep that helpful voice and attitude. I remember evesdropping onto conversations on telephone, where it became apparent that the staff were answering the same question over and over and over!!
    Somerset (old office) at Taunton were marvellous, helpful and kind to dithering females such as myself, and that can be said especially for Bath Guildhall Archives, soooooooooooooo patient, and soooooo quick when producing orginal documents. And they alway appear to look interested when being told for the umpteenth time the really personal family history that someone is researching.

terrysfamily

Don't get me wrong, all the archives I've visited have been helpful too, just that this one was the most helpful yet. Maybe they took one look at me and thought 'Oh god he'll need help' lol

Hereford archives have long had that reputation of going the extra distance for their clients. I don't know if she is still there but one of the Archivists was a lady called Averil and she came to Gwent several times to give talks to the Society and I think it was her enthusiasm that fired-up the staff.
    She had the ability to make every single record they had be relevant to family history.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

David Annis

Just to balance this up a bit, Worcester records office have also friendly and helpfull staff, the only draw back was you had to pay to park in nearby car parks. They have now moved to county hall and I have nasty feeling you have to pay there as well, hey ho.
    My next port of call this year is to Gloucester's records office. I must go and brush the dust off the village of Alderton's records that they hold there.
    Cheers
    Dave.