Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mutley

I'd also like to thank Coromandel for taking the time to reply to each poster individually.

Not sure about a book but perhaps a thought for a future competition.
    Anyone with an old copy of Grimms Fairy Tales to donate as a prize?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Not sure about a book but perhaps a thought for a future competition.
    Anyone with an old copy of Grimms Fairy Tales to donate as a prize?
    Very apt!

Lone Pine

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post

Lone Pine, have you got to the bottom of why your grandmother said your grandfather had died at the Somme when it was really at Gallipoli?

Yeap I have, naughty naught Nanny .

Grandad died August 1915, Uncle Fred born December 1916 woops!!!!!!!! Hence why she told everyone Grandad died at the Somme in 1916. Whether Dad or Uncle Fred knew that they were only half brothers, we will never know. All I know is that my Aunts (my Dads half sisters) did not know and were pretty upset by it all.

Coromandel

My goodness, naughty Nanny indeed. You can't really call that one a "little white lie", can you?

So many lies must have been told over the ages to account for 'inconvenient' babies: I guess even more so in the days when most people didn't have the knowledge or means to prevent pregnancy.

If the Jeremy Kyle Show had been invented a century ago there wouldn't have been a shortage of family secrets for him to expose!

Sandra Parker

I am the descendant of a Dutch Baroness. A close maternal relative was born in Delft, Holland. Admittedly the tale gets a bit murky prior to then, without dates, names or documents.
    Careful research, and certificates, shows that she was born in the East End, one of 11 (4 died young) to the daughter, also one of 11 and born in the East End, of a German immigrant couple, who had married in London in 1858. Sugar Baker and later Gas Works Labourer, doesn't sound much like aristocracy to me, but then I may be wrong.

Sandra, whose spectacled aura finds the whole thing rather amusing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123