Thread: Missing John

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Missing John

In 1871 my gg aunt Jane McCullough married John Spilstead in Sydney NSW.

The children of that marriage are as follows.
    John James b 1874
    Mary Ann b 1872 d 1872
    Sarah b 1877 d 1877
    James Alfred b 1880
    Unnamed girl b 1883d 1883

The problem I have however is a mystery surronding John. It is to be supposed that he was of slightly doubtful character as referred to in a letter from Jane's Aunt living in Ireland written to her father James McCullough in 1876. She was obviously sendng money to the family and was very upset that Jane and John were not using it to become "respectable and profitable".

I cannot find any information about John but have ordered the marriage certificate to see if that helps at all.

The curious thing is however that in 1882 John James and James Alfred were admitted to an orphange. Jane was still living as she had a still born daughter Sarah born in 1883.

Where was John? The birth registration for the still born daughter in 1883 does not bear the father's name.

In 1886 Jane married Alfred E Smith. I wonder if it is a coincidence that the son born 1880 was James (after her father) ALFRED!

Can anyone suggest where I must look for reasons the State(if that is how it happened) took the children off Jane and admitted them to an orphanage. Of course Jane may have been deserted by John and placed them there herself. She had actually lived in an orphanage herself when young.
    I am surprised that her father and step mother did not take the boys but as has been pointed out to me if the state took them away there was nothing he could do.

Also can anyone assist in where to look for a death of John or maybe a divorce. I have checked NSW BDM and South Australia BDM as there was a SMH mention of a John Spilstead in SA in 1893
    I can find no birth or death for John Spilstead in NSW or in UK. There is a passenger in 1841(from Sussex) aged 19 on ship "China" but not sure he would be that old. Marriage certificate may solve that one. I have also ordered the marriage cert. to Alfred E Smith.
    Many thanks for any help
    Marj.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

A few entries on Trove though nothing to advance your search.One entry corrected by Spilstead.There are 4 trees on An****try which may help.

Thanks Warncoort. I did see the Trove correction by Spilstead. I could not however see any method by which I can contact that person.
    I will go back and recheck the trees also.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    I did see the Trove correction by Spilstead. I could not however see any method by which I can contact that person.
    If you register with Trove you can send private messages to other members. When you're logged in, go to your own profile, then click on 'Member List'. Under the A-Z buttons, on the far right, is a little link saying 'Search Members'. Click on it to bring up a search box, then type in the member's name (make sure you spell it correctly, i.e. spilsted) and press 'Search'. That should take you to the member's profile, where there's an option to send a pm.

Thank you so much I must have missed that! I will get right onto it.