Rico

Default Various persons named Mower Gray, Suffolk

I have been trying to connect several persons with the name 'Mower Gray', all born in Suffolk, England, between 1827 - 1881 to one another. All from known Roma Gypsy families.

John Gray (b. cir. 1794, parents unknown) married 1814, Wantisden, Suffolk, Mary (Moore) Mower (b. 1791 Suffolk) daughter of Joseph & Rebeccah (nee Wray) Mower.
    They had 3 x sons -
    1. John Gray (b. 1819, Tunstall, Suffolk) married Emma Harris (b. 1821, Litcham)
    They had at least 8 children, one of these was named Mower Gray (b. 1851, Suffolk) but nothing else is
    known of this Mower Gray or any possible descendents of his ?

2. Mower Gray (b. 1827, christened 3 Jun 1827 Tunstall, Suffolk) Nothing else known of him but, it would
    stand to reason for him if he ever married to possibly have a son also named after him?

3. Elijah Gray (b. 1830, Woodbridge, Suffolk) married Mary Anne ?
    They has at least 5 children with one son also named Mower John Gray (b. 1856, Woodbridge, Suffolk) He
    married in 1882, Ipswich, Suffolk, Susan Alice Marjoram. Nothing known of their children ?

I believe the following to be somehow related to this above branch of the Gray & Mower families.
    Mower Gray (b. cir 1853, Suffolk) married Margaret ? in Rochford, Essex ?
    They had a so named Mower Robert Gray (b. 1881, Ipswich, Suffolk) & he married Lilliam Warren in 1911. Could this Mower Gray (senior) be (or from) one of the sons of the branch above ?

So, I have several persons named 'Mower Gray', with different middle names which may also be a clue ? All were born between 1827 & 1873, Suffolk, England, & all to be known from Roma families. The Gray, Harris, Wray, are well known Roma families with many known connections. I have another George Mower connected through the Brinkley Roma family also. The question also begs to which branch of the Roma Gray family do they belong ?
    Rico

Rico

I forgot to add to my initial post inquiry that yes, I have looked through various census information etc.. but, although some of the information is close in name & location, & may well be the one & same as above in some cases, I could not actually verify so as to add any further persons named "Mower Gray" to the above family(ies) with out considering it only as speculation based on coincidence, as tantalisingly close as it is, for the time being.
    Rico

Mutley

You have obviously trawled the census and researched these families so I am not sure what I can find for you that you do not already know.

I googled for Mower Grey and received loads of hits connected with lawns and tractors, I doubt much interest to you.

However, several pages down was a recent hit from genforum regarding this family.
    https://
    genforum.genealogy.com/gray/messages/13142.html

Elijah has the middle name of Coppre. He married Mary Anne, b. C. 1828 in Sutton, Suffolk.

You may be connected to the thread on there but if not, I suggest you try and make contact with those members who certainly seem to have information that may be of interest to you.

Rico

Hi Mutley, thanks for your post.

I am aware of the genforum inquiry you pointed out but it also has hit a dead end.

Yes, googling Mower Gray seems to only bring a zillion unwanted lawn & garden hits ! :-)

I also got the distinct impression from trawling the census that there is possibly another person or two named Mower Gray, in Suffolk, over this time period, that are also more than likely related to the above families but not as yet mentioned in the family outlines above.

It's all so very close but no cigar as yet as they say.

Rico

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post

2. Mower Gray (b. 1827, christened 3 Jun 1827 Tunstall, Suffolk) Nothing else known of him but, it would
    stand to reason for him if he ever married to possibly have a son also named after him?

Rico
    Hi there,

there are a couple of other Mower GRAY's lurking on freebmd; actually I suspect it's one and the same person, and he is likely to be your missing No 2 Mower b 1827, who went off to London to seek his fortune certainly the age at death fits anyway.

Marriages Sep 1850
    GRAY Mower Chelsea 3 56*

Deaths Sep 1880
    GRAY Mower 54 Kensington 1a 36

*(There are 2 husbands listed here, and only one wife; Hannah CHAPMAN, so she may or may not have been Mower's bride, or it could be the missing one.)

Rico

Hi Birdlip,
    Yes, I spotted him also, still speculation, but yes, I am with you, I guess him to be the one & same person as it all fits.

The same goes for speculative family tree that I have in my head which, basically matches the facts, but you know....... speculation can lead to potential embarrassment down the road tomorrow, yikes !

I also found another Mower Gray, who married a Charlotte E. ????. They had a daughter named Charlotte Gray born in Suffolk, abt 1875. This Mower Gray was born abt 1855.

I have 3 x Mower Gray's that all potentialy fit this age group & so could be the potential also husband of Charlotte E. ?

Mower Gray b. 1851, Suffolk, son of John Gray & Emma Harris. No known as yet wife or partner.
    Mower Gray b. 1853, Suffolk, parents not known, husband of Margaret ? Coincidently they have a daughter also named Charlotte Gray, b. 1877 Suffolk.
    Mower John Gray, b. 1856, Suffolk, son of Elijah Coppre Gray & Mary Anne. He didn't marry Susan Alice Marjoram until 26 July 1882. Charlotte could have been his first wife & passed away ?

Any of these roosters could well have married Charlotte E. ? before or after other marriages, maybe a mistress. Then again, maybe yet another Mower Gray from Suffolk ?

Rico

birdlip

Sounds like you need to fork out for some certificates