Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Default The name "Payll"?

Merry Christmas everyone!

I am trying to find my paternal great grandfather, Pryce Vaughan, on the 1881/91 censuses.

in 1901 he's with his family in Pontypridd (RG 13/5010 folio 118 page 57, TNA Crown copyright).

I think I've found him in 1891, as a boarder in LLanwonno (4413 folio 95 page 3, TNA Crown copyright). There is another boarder, Herbert Vaughan, who may be a brother?

But what about 1881? I can't find Pryce. I know from his marriage certificate that his father was called George, and there is a George Vaughan on the 1881 census (5490 folio 7 page 8, TNA Crown copyright) and also a Herbert Vaughan, with a similar age to the aforementioned one.

No Pryce, but there is a "Payll" Vaughan of the right age. I've had a look at the original image, and it certainly looks like Payll to my eye.

Could "Payll" be a derivative of "Pryce"?

Mutley

Was he a coal miner/hewer born about 1874 in Churchstoke, Montgomeryshire and married to Bessie?

Mutley

According to Wikipedia for the surname there are Press, Priess, Priesz, and many others, pronounced "Preese".
    But I cannot find another alternative in 1881 for the family that includes Payll seeing as they all say born in Churchstoke..

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Was he a coal miner/hewer born about 1874 in Churchstoke, Montgomeryshire and married to Bessie?
    Yes, as per the 1901 census I quoted in the original post.

Note that Pryce is his first name, not surname.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Yes, as per the 1901 census I quoted in the original post.

Note that Pryce is his first name, not surname.
    I asked for confirmation of the 1901 giving his birth details because several of our members have free access to the 1881 and might be prepared to look for you but not having subscriptions to pay sites they would not be able to check the reference for 1901 to find his birth year and place which you did not give.

Yes I did realise Pryce was his first name but I presumed it would be pronounced the same as a surname.

Sorry.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Where and when was he born?
    There is a Briycies Vaughan aged 5 at 53 Mill St, Calne a boarder born Middlesex, Westminster
    1881 RG11/2035 page 10

Sorry for lack of information!

Pryce Vaughan, born 28th Feb 1874, Little Argoed, Church Stoke. Married Bessie Flower in 1895.

Here is an image of the name in question, from the census image (click to enlarge):

So, does it say "Payll Vaughan", "Pryce Vaughan", or something else?

Bigger version:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast