Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    monicaj

Default Family Tree Maker 2010 - help please?

Hi

I have a little problems which this sofware which I just cannot fathom, despite looking at all the "Help" Pages.

I inadvertently added some ancestors to both of my parents. I used the Person/Detach Person function to remove from one line (but it detatched from both). I then reattached to the correct line and I'm back to square one again !! Any guidance would be appreciated.

Monica

Brick wall demolition expert!

Its very difficult to comment without actually seeing the problem, but if you don't have lots of ancestors attaching to the wrong person, how about deleting them completely from your file, and then going back and adding them in again? I know it sounds long winded and it is, but I have found in the past that I can spend more time looking for a fix than it would have taken to go the long winded way. Obviously if there are lots of ancestors then its not a viable proposition.

BettyL

Hi I have FTM 2012 and in the top right hand corner there is an add, delete, print and share button, perhaps if you have this you could bring up the person want to delete and try it. Hope it works Betty

monicaj

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

I could take the option of deleting the Person and in the short term I may have no other alternative, HOWEVER, there must be a solution to this. Just spent 45 minutes on the phone to the FTM helpdesk, and with the greatest respect spoke with a "numpty" who was basically going through the online "solution" as per my first post - conversation ended with her suggesting that I e-mail their technical support team !! - not impressed....................

I'm going to hold off doing anything just yet, and pray that there is a solution out there somewhere - I believed initially it was a dulpicate entry on my part, now I'm not so sure :-0

If/when I find a solution, will keep you posted

Monica

David Benson

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Hi Monica

Reading between the lines is the person you are trying to detach/attach the child of one half of a couple but not the other?
    If this is the case then you need to set up another 'spouse' (maybe without a named partner) so the child can be attached to one person.

monicaj

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Hi Monica

Perhaps if you told us exactly what the relationships are between the people concerned we could advise you better. Reading between the lines is the person you are trying to detach/attach the child of one half of a couple but not the other?
    Thank you - let me please try and explain, as it's not the case of the above.

My 2nd and 3rd Great Grandparents are good and correct on my Father's Line
    The same ancestors appear (complete with children and spouses) on my Mother's Line as 2nd and 3rd Gt Grandparents AFTER my correct 3rd Great Grandfather

I hope this makes sense ! - I think I will try again detaching and see what happens/otherwise it's going to be a delete and start again - I really would prefer to find a solution though as it could get quite messy.

janbooth

Hi Monica,

When you hit detach specific person button (after having already highlighted which person you want to detach), a box should appear which states which families the attached person is linked to, which in your case would be (as well as their own family) two families one linking to your paternal side and the other to your maternal line. The box should ask which family you want to detach this particular person from and you should click the button next to the family you want to detach them from, in this case your maternal line. You then click okay and it should detach this person from your maternal line. You will have to do the same detach for both of your grandparents but it should then work okay - hopefully! May I suggest you take a back up copy before you start the procedure just in case you have any problems and have to restore your old file - my experience with FTM (although I am very happy with it in the main) is that sometimes glitches do occur and it is always handy to have backed up your file before making too many alterations!

Good luck

Janet

janbooth

Just a rider to the above, I am using FTM 2012 although I did convert from 2010 and I think from memory (always suspect at my age!) that the same procedure applies.

Janet

monicaj

Oh thank you both so much, I am really grateful for your time -so........ I have tried both suggestions to no avail

Hope my explanation makes sense

Janet - when I go to detach from the incorrect line, there is no option to detach from the incorrect family i.e. 3rd GGF is Evan Davies, the 4th GGF I need to detach is Richard Lewis, when I select Richard Lewis I have only 1 option and that is to detach from the correct family, which explains why it was removed from my correct lineage yesterday.

Notanotherminer - I was hopeful.............BUT I only have these ancestors once in my tree, the only place they are duplicated is in the "Tree" view, therefore I am unable to merge, I did go through your instructions though - thanks

I'm not giving up just yet though, - I'm like a dog with a bone now, there must be a way to sort this. I really do like this software and I'm going to upgrade to 2012 once I get this little bug(ger) !! sorted

monicaj

UPDATE

Oh well after hitting a brick wall with the FTM Support Team - I ended up taking Megan's advice in post 2 and had to delete, though it really was not that simple. Because my back-up copies were taken before I started deleting (after priniting out an Individual Report on each), as I started to add them back in, it was populating certain fields with the original data and still attaching to both maternal and paternal lines.

Therefore I had to revert to an older back up from yesterday, delete each ancestor and EVERY direct relationship 32 people in total, back up with the deletions and start again - it was extremely painful and messy. I am now in the process of re-building and it's seems to be OK.

Sadly, I have now lost a lot of confidence in the software and moreso the "support" from FTM which was non existent. Once I get it back straight I will upload to Ancestry (Private) whilst regaining some confidence in this or look at alternative.

Thanks all for your help.
    Monica

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast