Orielbenfro

Default Air Raid victims and related to Pembrokeshire

As part of my research into military headstones that relate to the county of Pembrokeshire for which I currently have from 1722 to 2008, I compiled a separate worksheet of those people who either died in a Pembroke Air Raid namely 1940 & 1941 or those who had a Pembrokeshire connection but died elsewhere in an air raid in the UK or Overseas. In total I have to date found 103 their details and my background research can be found at ;

https://www.
    lastrp.com/?page_id=15198

Scroll to the bottom

Also here you will find those people with a Pembrokeshire and military connection who where noted cremated mainly ofcourse during the 20th century.

These two databases form approximately 1% of my research into Pembrokeshire related Military headstones over the current period of 1722 to 2008 and for which I have 3,000+ headstone photo’s and background research. Further much larger worksheets will hopefully be added at a later date.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

A fountain of knowledge

Another one for you: Edward Henry Long (48) of 1 Goodwick Bridge, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, killed on 18-Jun-1944 by a V1 at 32 High Street, Penge, now Greater London, then Kent. I will be investigating the incident more thoroughly at some stage, possibly quite soon, as we're looking at rather belatedly add WW2 names to the war memorial, thanks to metal thieves requiring us to replace the WW1 tablets. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. Please PM me if you come with anything on him before I do, e.g. whether he's buried in Fishguard or whether I may find him here.

Have you searched the CWGC database with "Geoff's Wonderful Search Engine" front-end, which is a lot more powerful than CWGC's? This comes up with 624 names if you put Pembroke in the "Include all words" search box.

hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Doran View Post
    Please PM me if you come with anything on him before I do, e.g. whether he's buried in Fishguard or whether I may find him here.
    Chris Many thanks for that information. I will add to my database, but may be sometime before it appears added to the site, so please do not think I have forgotten.

Leave research this end to me, I will look into it and most certainly PM you with any results (good or bad) that I come up with.

This is not the place to discuss CWGC ~ surfice that CWGC database is only ever used to x/ref or back up the more correct & accurate findings held in my databases. I do not use or go any where near "War Memorials".

Air Raid Victims was a side product of my research in ex-servicemen connected to Pembrokeshire which currently covers the years 1722 to 2008 some 5,000 entries with over 3,000 jpegs of headstones and background research.

Rgds for now
    Orielbenfro

Orielbenfro

Default "Eddie Long of Goodwick"

Please PM me if you come with anything on him before I do, e.g. whether he's buried in Fishguard or whether I may find him here.
    Done things the wrong way round, I should have checked my databasebefore repling, I have full details (Mine plus CWGC), but had no reference him being killed in an air raid, hence the reason why he does not appear in my worksheet on air raid victims.

I am pretty sure I know of his burial place, frustratingly I was only there last week searching for additional ex servicemen of the Boer and W.W. 1. Once confirmed you will be the 1st to know.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Orielbenfro

Another one for you: Edward Henry Long (48) of 1 Goodwick Bridge, Fishguard
    Chris
    To keep you upto date I have today confirmed location and date of death of Eddie Long, all I have to do now is find time to get there and see if the headstone survives ~ Will let you know.

By the way If Hut Six refers to a certain 'Park', that used to be my mess whilst I was stationed there.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Orielbenfro

Default Ref Edward H. Long

Another one for you: Edward Henry Long (48) of 1 Goodwick Bridge, Fishguard,
    Chris have not forgotten your requirements 3 long periods in hosptial have put a stop to travel at this time, I will get there and keep you updated
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Orielbenfro

Default Edward Henry Long

Another one for you: Edward Henry Long (48)
    Chris
    Total success, was out on the motorbike riding the county and searching for a number of other military related headstones and called in and photographed Edward's headstone, it being exactly where I thought it would be.

I will put together all my own research with the photo, but can you let me have an email address to send the jpegs to.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks. I've sent you a PM. I'm intrigued to know if you found any clues as to why he was unlucky enough to be in Penge at the precise moment the V1 struck. All I found in a local newspaper report was that "holidaymakers" were involved, but this isn't a seaside resort! 7 people died at that address: Arthur and Emily Ball with 3 month old Janet, and the rest not obviously related. It was a biggish 3- or 4-storey house with room for lodgers.

johnszymala

[QUOTE=Orielbenfro;512805]As part of my research into military headstones that relate to the county of Pembrokeshire for which I currently have from 1722 to 2008, I compiled a separate worksheet of those people who either died in a Pembroke Air Raid namely 1940 & 1941 or those who had a Pembrokeshire connection but died elsewhere in an air raid in the UK or Overseas. In total I have to date found 103 their details and my background research can be found at ;

lastrp.com/?page_id=15198

Scroll to the bottom

Also here you will find those people with a Pembrokeshire and military connection who where noted cremated mainly ofcourse during the 20th century.

These two databases form approximately 1% of my research into Pembrokeshire related Military headstones over the current period of 1722 to 2008 and for which I have 3,000+ headstone photo’s and background research. Further much larger worksheets will hopefully be added at a later date.

Orielbenfro

Not sure if this loose connection qualifies but here goes.

My wife's grandfather JOHN PRIDY MORGAN (56) born 1884 Millom, Cumberland was one of five people killed by a German enemy bomb on the morning of Thursday January 2 1941. The incident happened when three cottages on Steel Green, Haverigg, Millom (mining cottages) took a direct hit. It is believed the planes were on their way to hit Barrow Docks.
    The connection with Pembroke is that his father of whom you have kindly researched is one William George Morgan b12855 at Carew, Pembrokeshire with his parents being James Morgan baptised 22 April 1827 at Walwyn's Castle church. James parents were a John Morgan b(Fishguard) married married to a Sarah Jones (? ongoing) at St Ishmaels on 23 March 1822.

Happy to provide more details if I can.

John

Orielbenfro

[QUOTE=johnszymala;517508]
    Quote Originally Posted by Orielbenfro View Post
    My wife's grandfather JOHN PRIDY MORGAN (56) born 1884 Millom, Cumberland was one of five people killed by a German enemy bomb on the morning of Thursday January 2 1941.
    John
    This would be an excellent entry for my database, since we know that John's father was Pembroke born and would love to include in my Air Raid Database, it is currently being prepared to be updated with other further additions on the web, so could add yours at the same time.
    Suggest you send details by PM rather than open forum.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro