Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default What happens to non-Naturalized female ??????

I have a lady who married in 1912 and with her husband went to Boston, Mass. They were both aged in their very late 40's.

She does not show up on any returning passenger lists.

He returns to England in 1921 with a different wife.

Either the wife he went with died or they divorced.

Are there any accessible records on line of deaths or divorces for such a lady?

Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Ancestry has lots of American BMD and divorce records. If you let us know her name we might be able to turn something up.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Ancestry has lots of American BMD and divorce records. If you let us know her name we might be able to turn something up.
    Her name would have been Elizabeth Johns.

Am I correct that a person [female] and married but not naturalized would not have a Social Security #?

Colin

Was her husband Thomas?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Was her husband Thomas?
    No - Richard

Colin

I can't see her in any of the Ancestry records. The Massachusetts death records don't cover the period 1912-1921 and there are no divorce records available.

I would have thought it unlikely that unless she ran off with someone else, that a middle aged lady divorced by her husband would have stayed in a foreign land but stranger things have happened.

On the social security number issue I would have thought that one our American friends can help there.

Colin Rowledge

This is the thread that earlier today I said I would start.

Richard and Elizabeth married in Oct-Dec. q. 1912 and arrive in Boston, Mass. on March 28 1913. The couple head to Sherborn, Mass. to settle with Harry Bray, who is married to Ethel Germaine Bray - formerly Moore. Harry works as a Moulder in an Iron Foundry and Richard gets work there as well.

Richard returns to England and arrives June 1, 1921. With his is a different wife - Grace M. Johns. They indicate that they have no set place in England as a residence, but plan to settle in Cornwall, so their address is S.P.O. Helston, Cornwall. Richard is indicating his emplotment as a Blacksmith.

The following are possinle deaths:
    Richard dies in Redruth RD - 1924
    Grace M. dies in Redruth RD - 1937

Neither exactly matches the ages indicated on the return to England, but the death of mjatches my information about his age and Grace M. is a total unknown quantity.

What was Richard up to in the U.S. for 8 years? That's what I'd like to know!!

Colin

bamagirl

Well for one thing the Social Security Act did not come about until the 1930's. I'd have to research what the rules were back then. Do we have Elizabeth's DOB? Have we found her in the 1920 or 1930 census?

Don't have time right now, but will check back later to see what needs doing by then.

-Barb

pippycat

Colin,

As Barb says Social Security No.s were introduced in 1935 (so Elizabeth wouldn't have had one, unless she remained in the US after that date).

S.Security No.s are primarily for taxation purposes (nowadays everyone born in the US has one) they have no bearing on Naturalization, as such.

"Aliens" who have the right to work in the US are also issued with a S.Security No...Government needs to collect all the tax $ they can!

I don't know how it would have worked in 1912 but an "alien" Elizabeth with no means of support would have probably had 2 choices, as Megan says, either found herself someone else, or returned home to UK...unless, of course, she died.

As for Richard: maybe there is a census/directory/marriage record somewhere for him and Grace?

Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Richard returns to England and arrives June 1, 1921. With his is a different wife - Grace M. Johns. They indicate that they have no set place in England as a residence, but plan to settle in Cornwall, so their address is S.P.O. Helston, Cornwall. Richard is indicating his emplotment as a Blacksmith.
    Just to be awkward, how certain are you that this is your Richard JOHNS?

For example, a Richard S JOHNS married Grace M WASLEY on 01 Mar 1905 in Marquette, Michigan. Checking the census, in 1900, Richard was lodging with his future wife's family in Marquette. See this image on Family Search here. Richard's occupation is Blacksmith.

Also, digging further back, both Richard and Grace appear to have been born in Cornwall. Grace abt. 1867 in Kenwyn and Richard abt. 1865 in Breage (Helston reg district.) Richard S JOHNS and Grace M are listed in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 census in Michigan, but it is feasible that they travelled to Cornwall in 1921 for some reason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast